Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup to iCloud

Hi. I have a one-month old iPhone Xr. I received an alert for a software update. I have downloaded it, but it won't install. The phone says "You can install this update when your iPhone is finished restoring from the iCloud backup." I don't know what this means or what to do. I was under the impression that everything was transferred from my old phone to this one. That seems to be true.

Any ideas? Thank you.

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 2:56 PM

Let's try going to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Back-Up

See if there is an option to "Stop restoring". If not, try to initiate an iCloud back-up and definitely check that your iCloud storage is not full.

Once you've done that, try to force restart your iPhone like sberman suggested and see if that resolves the issue.

If that does not resolve the issue, try to update using iTunes. If it still gives you an error, put the iPhone into recovery mode, and use the "Update" option on iTunes.

On an iPhone X or later, or iPhone 8 or later:

Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.

Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2018 2:56 PM in response to florence147

Let's try going to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Back-Up

See if there is an option to "Stop restoring". If not, try to initiate an iCloud back-up and definitely check that your iCloud storage is not full.

Once you've done that, try to force restart your iPhone like sberman suggested and see if that resolves the issue.

If that does not resolve the issue, try to update using iTunes. If it still gives you an error, put the iPhone into recovery mode, and use the "Update" option on iTunes.

On an iPhone X or later, or iPhone 8 or later:

Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.

Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

backup to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.