Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder tags disappear when saving files in Mojave

Just upgraded straight from Sierra to Mojave, and now Finder tags disappear the instant I save a file. Any solution to this? I'm seeing this in Office files (Office 2011), stored on Dropbox. Any help from anyone out there (hopefully shy of paying for an otherwise-unneeded version of Office?)?

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 6:20 PM

Thanks, but right-clicking an item in the Finder and selecting a tag only lasts until I actually open that file, modify it at all, and then select "Save"; at that instant, the tag disappears. My digging on the forums suggests that this problem began with High Sierra, and I'm just late to the issue.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2019 6:20 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, but right-clicking an item in the Finder and selecting a tag only lasts until I actually open that file, modify it at all, and then select "Save"; at that instant, the tag disappears. My digging on the forums suggests that this problem began with High Sierra, and I'm just late to the issue.

Jan 3, 2019 3:23 PM in response to kctalker

Do the tags disappear when you save a Word document to your Desktop? The Mojave Finder is a major rework of the Finder that was on Sierra, and it may have indigestion working with a remote Dropbox filesystem.

You realize of course that Microsoft never tested Office 2011 on High Sierra or Mojave, and there is no assurance that it will work as it once did on older releases of OS X/macOS. Microsoft is only supporting Office 2016 and 2019 on Mojave and these are the versions it recommends and is currently applying patches too.

Although LibreOffice is free, learning to use it and the menu layout will cost you time, even with the current documentation that is available.

Jan 3, 2019 5:38 PM in response to kctalker

Constant problem with Word in Office 2011 for Mac, whether saving to Dropbox or Desktop. This may be one of the incompatibilities that Office 2011 for Mac introduces when used with Mojave. If so, then there is no Apple or Microsoft fix. You will have to tag the files by right-clicking on them, and selecting Tags… to get at custom tag names, or directly with one of the tag colors shown on the contextual menu.

LibreOffice, not being a Cocoa application, does not offer the ability to tag files during the save process. On the otherhand, Softmaker's TextMaker in their Office 2018 suite, is a proper Mac application, and does offer a tag field in the save panel.

Finder tags disappear when saving files in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.