Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for Mac

I would like to change the background color while I am viewing my pictures. It defaults to white, but I would like it to be black. How do I change this?

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 3:34 AM

The early versions of Photos for mac allow only a white background, unless you open the photo in edit mode. If you enlarge the photo and click "Edit" then use the arrow keys to step the photos, the background will be back.

If you upgrade to macOS 10.14 Mojave with Photos 4.0, you can select "Dark mode" in the System Preferences.

And the Photos will have a dark background.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2019 3:34 AM in response to sita64

The early versions of Photos for mac allow only a white background, unless you open the photo in edit mode. If you enlarge the photo and click "Edit" then use the arrow keys to step the photos, the background will be back.

If you upgrade to macOS 10.14 Mojave with Photos 4.0, you can select "Dark mode" in the System Preferences.

And the Photos will have a dark background.

Photos for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.