Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you replace an iphone xr camera lens glass?

My daughter has just dropped her 4 week old iphone xr on the floor and smashed her camera lens glass. I have put every protector on the rest of the phone, screen protector, case but didn't even think about a camera lens protector as have never had this happen before. Phone is perfect apart from this little piece of smashed glass. Can't seem to find any info anywhere about replacing this peice of glass, everyone just goes on abut screens.

Help! I'm panicking that this is now a major repair rather than just a tiny piece of glass!

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 10:17 AM

23 replies

Jan 6, 2019 9:14 AM in response to panchososa694

Obviously didn’t mean to break it, it was in a case too, with screen protectors. To be fair to my daughter it did break very easily. I just think it’s a bit of a con that they don’t replace this small piece of glass or if necessary the camera unit but instead make you essentially buy a new phone. I am an apple fam with many of their devices but this has left a bit of a sour taste if I’m honest.

Jan 18, 2019 1:07 AM in response to Tano2001

I feel your pain, £386 later! I think our glass shattered really easily on impact, it didn't actually hit anything as it was in a case. Even the technician I saw said we were very unlucky as there wasn't a single mark on the phone at all. The camera worked perfectly, not even a tiny scratch on the phone, just the tiny shattered bit of glass. Sadly they can't replace the glass, they replace the whole phone. Soon you will be able to have this glass replaced by a third party but, after phoning round, Apple haven't yet released the glass as a spare part and of course if you have someone other than Apple do repairs then Apple won't touch the phone again.

I have bought many thousands of pounds of Apple products for my home and my business and this is the first time I actually feel ripped off.

Feb 10, 2019 2:42 PM in response to Stevorf

You are screwed - either live with smashed camera screen until Apple release the spare parts for a third party to repair or pay £386 and receive a new phone. My bank balance is now £386 lighter but it is now on our insurance to cover it if it happens again. It does seem that the new camera lenses are crap - XS seems to be having same problem and it's £500+ to replace that one!! After 10 years of having iphones, I don't think I will be buying another brand for myself and both my kids when our contracts end. Seems a shame but for the first time I feel Apple don't seem to be owning up to their cock up on this one.

Mar 1, 2019 6:34 AM in response to katelizab

Thankyou for the reply ..I have rung apple and yes 400 for a replacement phone am just gonna have to bite the bullet and get it done! My daughter stupidly had taken her case off her phone to clean it and gave it to her friend to hold who plonked it on the floor then accidentally trod on it camera glass smashed...I am so cross!! Yes i will also be investing in some phone insurance!!!! and a 3 layer case which she will never be allowed to remove hahahaha

Mar 1, 2019 9:56 PM in response to sallenmd

Thanks for the parenting tips...and yes she is using her saved money and working jobs for the rest to pay for it...until she gotten all the money together the phone is firmly locked away until it will be replaced...yes i could of given her her old iphone but what lesson would she learn? I have confiscated everything including her ipad and she wont be having them back for a long time..i believe greatly in looking after your belongings and this is mistake she wont make again...you dont have to school me on how to Discipline my kids I have 3 teenagers all work and study and understand that stuff doesn’t just get handed to them on a plate..There is nothing more irritating to me than spoilt children who have everything and appreciate nothing!!

Mar 1, 2019 10:23 PM in response to sallenmd

Ha no way was i gonna pay just was going back and forth about getting it fixed or replaced period! A big lesson for her to learn from this about money and looking after things properly...one thing i have learnt is there are very few cases out there apart from waterproof ones that actually have some form of protection for the camera lens...so she will also be investing in one of those maybe a lifeproof one or something and she will never be taking it off !!!!!

can you replace an iphone xr camera lens glass?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.