Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard add random Period while typing in certain apps or websites

My Macbook keeps adding a period after certain words while I am typing.

This doesn’t happen in all apps. I have noticed this happen mainly in the Outlook for Mac app, Whatsapp App and the google gmail while i’m logged onto it via chrome.

Not sure why, this is not consistent and doesn’t happen all the time.

When I restart my computer, it is better for a bit and then comes back again.

Also, the “ , “ was not working until I reset my laptop and it started working again. so i din’t think it’s a Hardware issue.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 10, 2019 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 6:39 AM

There is a setting under System Preferences>Keyboard>Text to turn on adding adding a period with a double space or not. I'm guessing yours is on.

Mine is turned off. Now the system adds random double spaces. I suspect we have the same issue here.

I have filed a bug report with Apple but no response yet.

22 replies

Jan 23, 2019 5:56 AM in response to megods

I am having the same issue. Just started yesterday. I also have a new 2018 MacBook Air-- so far I have gotten it to stop happening by unchecking "add period with double space" in settings/keyboard/text, but I am concerned that this may mean I am developing keyboard issues-- unintentional double spaces...? Hopefully it's a bug with Mojave....

Jan 25, 2019 5:10 PM in response to megods

This is the response I have received from Apple.

It’s a known hardware issue, and our hardware team is looking at solutions for future models. Currently, there is no software fix to address this. We are closing this bug report. If you have questions regarding the resolution of this issue, please update your bug report with that information. Please be sure to regularly check new Apple releases for any updates that might affect this issue.

My plan is to have my keyboard replaced under warranty and test again against the latest beta. If the issue persists then I will re-open the bug report.

Jan 26, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Mohannad Hashem

I am sorry to hear this, actually, as I have been hoping that the butterfly keyboard issue wasn't going to be a problem with the new MacBook Air. At the moment I have turned off the keyboard repeat settings, as well as the double space period setting, and am only occasionally having the random double-space issue. If it gets worse, I will submit a trouble ticket, and get the keyboard repaired. Inspired by the email you shared, I have also signed up for Apple Care +, which I hope will make it easier to fix problems if they continue to develop. Please keep this thread posted-- I'd love to know if the problem persists after both of you replace your keyboards. 😊

Jan 26, 2019 8:02 PM in response to megods

I went in to the Apple store today. They ended up cleaning the space bar. So far so good. I am not sure exactly what was lodged underneath. The Apple Genius said that sometimes dust gets stuck and you just have clean around the edges.

My recommendation. Get a compressed air can or very small (but not sharp) instrument to clean around the space bar.

The good news is that it is a simple fix after all.

Jan 29, 2019 8:29 AM in response to Mohannad Hashem

@Mohannad, could you clarify: do you also have a MacBook Air 2018 model? I just dropped off my computer to be repaired, and the technician said that the new MBA's are not having the butterfly keyboard issue, even though some of them clearly are-- you can tell if you search the internet! I will report back to let you all know what they did, and whether the issue is fixed. Typing now on my ANCIENT MBA (2012) that has never given me any trouble. :(

Jan 29, 2019 10:29 AM in response to Mohannad Hashem

No! They will definitely repair it. But at the moment they are treating it as a personal issue to me, not a general problem with this kind of keyboard. I tried to point out that the keyboard on this computer is the same. They were not really on board. I’ll let you know what they say. Seems like some MBA 2018 are affected so far but not as many. Thanks for updating. 

Mar 25, 2019 10:27 PM in response to megods

MacBook Pro 2018. About 3-4 months after buying I started getting random double spaces. Tried all the "fixes" in Settings to no avail. Threads indicated hardware problems.

Sent to Apple Service. "We couldn't find anything wrong on testing." Sent back to me with "latest firmware".

Been using it about one month. What do you think? I am not putting in double spaces fun. I am not a happy camper.

Mar 25, 2019 10:32 PM in response to Doctor_Peter

Seeing all the double spaces in your post the issue is clearly there. I pulled up TextEdit in front of the Apple guy and literally alternated the letter s and a space over and over till it happened in front of him.

For me though, the solution was simple, clean under the space key. You might just get some compressed air and try that first.

Mar 26, 2019 6:41 AM in response to Doctor_Peter

The periods and extra spaces are part of the same problem. If you go under System Preferences>Keyboard>Text there is an option on the right side to "Add period with double-space". If it's checked you'll get extra periods, if it's unchecked you'll get extra spaces. In either case it's an annoying issue.

Seems to me they will have to replace your keyboard.

Mar 27, 2019 1:56 PM in response to megods

Experiencing the same thing on my 2018 MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54). Super weird glitch and no pattern to it that I can tell, the randomly inserted period is happening in Gmail, G-Drive word document and Facebook. Have also unchecked "add period with double space" in settings/keyboard/text but when the period is dropped into my text it doesn't seem related to space bar usage. Hope Apple sort it out soon, it is an irritating feature!

Keyboard add random Period while typing in certain apps or websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.