You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the lifespan of a SIM, and what would symptoms might appear with a defective one?

I recently had an iPhone problem of an intermittently unresponsive screen.  It would work for a few minutes, then simply stop responding.  After waiting for a few seconds up to a minute, the screen would respond normally again, then stop responding a bit later.

Under AppleCare+ the phone was replaced.  Before being replaced, diagnostics were run which showed only an issue with the battery.

The replacement iPhone showed no problems at first, then identical symptoms began on and off, then more frequently, then after only a few days the new phone was virtually unusable.

As the likelihood of two phones having identical hardware issues was astronomical, I began looking for a common cause.  The original phone had been totally wiped clean and reloaded from scratch, first from a backup, then as a new phone.  Each time the symptoms returned.  I went through the same process with the replacement,  with the same results.

I searched for iOS issues, thinking a bug in iOS 12 was the cause, but found nothing similar.  Noting iOS 11 had major problems, perhaps this was an offshoot.  Then thinking perhaps some data related to my AppleID was corrupting my phone, but this seemed unlikely as my iPads weren't affected.

I finally ran across the issue of SIM viruses.  Since the SIM was the only commonality between the two, this seemed like the only possible remaining cause.  Yet this seemed as unlikely as anything else since the SIM was over a year old, and I use only a couple of apps and rarely share data with anyone or even chat with anyone.  Where could a SIM virus possibly have originated?  Besides, such infections are very rare anyway, and are almost always introduced in a new batch SIMs at the factory.

My local Apple store gave me a replacement SIM free of charge, as is their policy with all iPhone owners.  (Yes, in case you didn't know, anyone can get their iPhone SIM replaced free from Apple!)  Then on my way back to my car it hit me...   What if it isn't a virus, but simply a defective SIM?  

Now that seemed like a real possibility, and it did indeed turn out to be the actual cause.

Googling for info on defective SIMs yielded nothing useful.  There is also no information on the anticipated lifespan of a SIM.  So I researched SIM manufacture, and discovered they are simply a microchip on a thin piece of PVC (vinyl), similar to current credit cards, only much more cheaply made because they aren't expected to endure any sort of stress in their day-to-day use.

The chip itself is unlikely to fail since it simply provides data, and the contacts are gold coated, so oxidation seems an unlikely cause.  The vinyl might degrade a tiny bit, but not enough to warp or have any significant effect on performance.  So a chip degrading over time seemed unlikely until I remembered the adhesive used to bind the chip and vinyl together.  Adhesives break down rather quickly, especially cheap adhesives.  So what might be the effect of deteriorating adhesive on the back of a microchip?  What symptoms might it produce?  The most likely symptom would be a slowing of the phone, as it repeatedly attempted to retrieve data from the failing SIM.  It could theoretically slow it down a whole lot, depending on how the phone interpreted the data fault.  Slow down processing of the whole phone, or just an app, or simply the response to a touch of the screen.  In the case of a friend of mine, her failing SIM caused her phone to regularly show that a new device has just logged on to her AppleID, requiring her to verify it!

Until recently, the majority of people replaced their iPhones annually, and probably got new SIMs in the process.  But technological advances have slowed, so replacements are currently averaging two years or more.  Now many people replace them only when they're not working well—slowing down or behaving unreliably.  I now can't help but wonder how many problems are caused by their lowly worn-out SIMs.  Most average people don't try to diagnose their phones, they simply assume they're worn out and need replacing.

P.S.  Now that Apple is replacing physical SIM cards with internal hardware, will their iPhones be even more reliable, lasting even longer?  Will Apple's stock continue to decline because of continued sagging sales of iPhones not wearing out?  Will Apple try to make their iPhones not last so long (planned obsolescence) as when they removed MagSafe from their Macs?  Inquiring minds want to know!!

iPhone

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 5:27 PM

A virus seems highly unlikely since an iPhone or iPad write no data at all to the SIM card. The only SIM virus I know of infect the SIM because the device writes data to the SIM (email, contacts, some pre-pay carrier pushed notifications, etc).

As to life span, I don’t know, but I have been using my current nanoSIM for over 5 years, first with an iPhone 6 and currently, in an iPhone 7. I don’t know of any data on failure rates, mtbf or other measures of expected lifespan of a typical SIM card. Of course, like any electronic device from a hard drive to an SSD device to a cpu to anything else, any SIM can go bad for a whole host of reasons, and it could do so at any time.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 13, 2019 5:27 PM in response to JustSomeOldGuy

A virus seems highly unlikely since an iPhone or iPad write no data at all to the SIM card. The only SIM virus I know of infect the SIM because the device writes data to the SIM (email, contacts, some pre-pay carrier pushed notifications, etc).

As to life span, I don’t know, but I have been using my current nanoSIM for over 5 years, first with an iPhone 6 and currently, in an iPhone 7. I don’t know of any data on failure rates, mtbf or other measures of expected lifespan of a typical SIM card. Of course, like any electronic device from a hard drive to an SSD device to a cpu to anything else, any SIM can go bad for a whole host of reasons, and it could do so at any time.

Jan 13, 2019 7:25 PM in response to Michael Black

Yes, like any piece of hardware, it could last quite a while or it might not. I'm just curious if anyone has any statistics or knows anything about the manufacture of SIM cards. Although it surely matters who manufactured it in the first place. I noticed the one Apple gave me listed several carriers on it. If I had obtained it directly from Sprint or T-Mobile or whoever, it would surely have said only that name on it. Being big companies interested mainly in profits, they probably cut a deal with the cheapest manufacturer to make their own. If a person was cynical, they might even think some companies intentionally put cheaper SIM chips in their phones, knowing the failure rate will help drive future sales. Nobody would suspect a SIM of causing such bizarre issues as I or my friend experienced. So it just got me to wondering. We may never know.

Jan 13, 2019 9:20 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I know of no carriers who offer SIM cards for free. Most charge at least $10 nowadays. I don't consider that low cost when Apple provides them for free.

And no, I cannot use my iPhone on WiFi to make calls. Pay-as-you-go plans do not allow that. I have Tello, and I pay less than $10/mo, including taxes. I can make 200 minutes of calls and have unlimited texting. My data allowance is low because I'm retired and remain mostly at home with my WiFi, so I rarely use cellular data. I saved enough in a single year with Tello to pay for my iPhone SE with 128GB. I still have a trusty headphone jack to use with my fantastic sounding Bowers & Wilkins, and my little iPhone fits easily into my pocket when I go out. My daughter generously gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas when they first came out. (I actually got a photo of one for Christmas because they were behind schedule in those days. LOL) Wearing my Apple Watch, I hardly even use my iPhone anymore. I have an iPad Mini when I want a large screen for reading, and an XL iPad Pro when I want a really, really large screen or when I want to draw.

But none of this has to do with having a bad SIM card. You must have a working SIM in your phone to make calls, even on WiFi. Try removing the SIM from your phone, and see what happens when you try to make a WiFi call--OOPS!

Jan 14, 2019 4:28 PM in response to JustSomeOldGuy

I don't know of a single carrier that would not replace a faulty SIM for free - AT&T certainly does not charge a current customer for one. William mentioned that you could use wifi to do everything BUT make cellular telephone calls.

A few simple web searches do not turn up any solid, engineering data on SIM card longevity, failure rates, MTBF or any other actual data. There are tons of anecdotal web mentions of people using the same SIM card for up to 10 years. Given they are not terribly complicated IC devices, I would expect that on average they last a very long time, if not subjected to water damage, over-voltage or physical damage.

What is the lifespan of a SIM, and what would symptoms might appear with a defective one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.