Announcement: Announcing the newest addition to Apple Support Communities, Apple Arcade!

If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you.

Announcement: Update to iOS 13

Get a whole new look with Dark Mode and a redesigned Photos app. Get iOS 13.

Question:

Question: iPad Pro touch screen intermittent unresponsive

I have the iPad Pro 10.5 inch for roughly 4 months. I started finding intermittent touch issues that have been random. Its extremely bad when playing games where precision touch and timing are critical. Just normal day to day usage for email, web browsing, etc. you would not notice it much unless you attempt to draw in notepad, then I can see how occasionally it does not register touch while sliding a stylus and other times, its like a rapid touch response.

I have performed every single thing I could find from others having the same issue, and from the looks of how many complaints about this, it sounds like either design flaw or iOS issues. I have tried the following:

• Turn off and on
  • Hard rest/restart
  • Clean the screen frequently
  • Removed the expensive tempered glass Screen protector
  • Switched case to a case that has no magnetic close
  • Use the Apply plug instead of a multi-usb port charger
  • Turning off Bluetooth
  • Turning off Background App Refresh
  • Turning off Multitasking
  • Etc...etc...etc..etc.

Nothing has worked and seeing all the various forums and posts from people, this is a big problem a rather massive quantity of people have with the iPad Pro's. This weekend I have just had it with this very new iPad Pro that is driving me crazy... I hit the forums looking for anything i have no tried and its all the same, nobody knows and many have just given up on iPads, a lot of people have turned their iPads in under warranty only to find the refurbished units they receive all have the same issue. I am right there with them, I have absolutely loved the Apple devices, my house nearly all Apply, TV's, iPhones, iPads, MacMini's, etc.

I was preparing to erase my iPad Pro and send it back, but gave it one more try, i literally went through every single setting, turning off every single feature and hard restart. After that, the issues are so far gone. I may have a pretty much featureless iPad Pro right now, however no more intermittent unresponsive touch, so i suspect its an iOS issue! I have no interest in turning on any settings one at a time until the issue returns, for now hoping it will eventually be resolved and i can turn everything back on, i just need to not deal with this issue for a while as it has nearly turned me away from Apple products going forward. As expensive as these devices are, we should not have these kind of issues.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jan 31, 2019 8:47 PM in response to Vmax28 In response to Vmax28

Some other user mentioned trying this in another post thread.

Possible Solution from user Andrew Ngo

Original posting from here.

iPad Pro 11" - Touch Screen Unresponsive - Apple Community

“For those whom have touch screen unresponsive issue with iOS 12.1.....

Goto Setting -> General -> Accessibility -> Touch Accommodations, Turn on Touch Accommodations. Leave everything else in the options alone.

All my touch issues gone!”

Mar 22, 2019 5:13 PM in response to JR-Pars In response to JR-Pars

This issue had started for all year and model iPad Pros since the initial release of IOS 12.

Some users have stated their iPad Pros started having this unresponsive touch screen issues as far back as IOS 11.4.1

Based upon many comments across 25 thread postings, I have no doubt, now, that this is an IOS software related issue/bug.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Jan 13, 2019 9:44 PM in response to Pyro.Man In response to Pyro.Man

I have the same iPad Pro you have. I bought it specifically to use with the Apple Pencil for drawing and painting on a app called Procreate.

In Procreate there’s a setting to dismiss all finger touches. Reducing it to only recognize the pencil.

After enabling and painting for awhile, I disabled the setting.

Thats when the pencil lag started. And still it persist. I tried enabling/disabling the setting a few times. Restarted, and even deleted/redownloaded Procreate to no avail.

Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.

Jan 13, 2019 9:44 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 13, 2019 11:25 PM in response to Pyro.Man In response to Pyro.Man

This is NOT what you are going to want to read/learn, but this is a known issue across all iPad Pro year and models ( even the brand new 2018, 3rd gen iPad Pro models ) and it is starting to affect both the 2018 and 2017 6th and 5th gen 9.7 inch screen iPads, too!!

I am beginning to think that this is a growing issue that is NOT hardware related, but either iOS 11 and/or iOS 12 related bug.

I have a 1st gen, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro still running iOS 10.3.3 and I am NOT experiencing these recent intermittent touch screen issues.

The best you can do is alert Apple to this growing issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Good Luck to You!

Jan 13, 2019 11:25 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Jan 20, 2019 7:32 AM in response to MichelPM In response to MichelPM

I’m experiencing the same issue. I have a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 WiFi version. Interestingly, i never experienced this issue with the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. I took the 12.9 iPad Pro to the apple store and said it was very likely software related. The frustrating part is it is difficullt to reproduce the issue. The touch sensitivity issue happens intermittently.

Jan 20, 2019 7:32 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 31, 2019 7:53 PM in response to MichelPM In response to MichelPM

I can confirm, that it happened with my 2gen iPad Pro 12.9 and it also happens on the latest 3gen iPad Pro 12.9. It is very annoying and makes serious use of the iPad very difficult. I noticed it happens when many apps are open in the background. It seems when closing most/all background apps, problem disappears.

Jan 31, 2019 7:53 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 31, 2019 8:47 PM in response to Vmax28 In response to Vmax28

Some other user mentioned trying this in another post thread.

Possible Solution from user Andrew Ngo

Original posting from here.

iPad Pro 11" - Touch Screen Unresponsive - Apple Community

“For those whom have touch screen unresponsive issue with iOS 12.1.....

Goto Setting -> General -> Accessibility -> Touch Accommodations, Turn on Touch Accommodations. Leave everything else in the options alone.

All my touch issues gone!”

Jan 31, 2019 8:47 PM

Reply Helpful (6)

Mar 20, 2019 8:50 AM in response to Pyro.Man In response to Pyro.Man

I have been having issue with what i believe is touch sensitivity on my ipad pro 12.9.

Software is updated regularly. The issue is noticed mostly when typing. Some finger strokes register while others do not, causing much frustration. Tapping harder and super firmly sometimes helps. This is not acceptable. Seems to be a fairly common issue. Why is nothing being done about this proactively?

my guess is there is a known hardware issue with sensitivity on a larger screen? correct?

Mar 20, 2019 8:50 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 22, 2019 3:08 PM in response to danfromdunwoody In response to danfromdunwoody

Had this issue with new 12.9 iPad Pro. Tried everything mentioned above, including reboot/redownloading of hardware, not just software. Apple support online not helpful. Visited store. Of course, the problem didn't happen with tech. Replaced with reconditioned iPad Pro; 2 weeks newer model. Unlike with original iPad, I did not update to 12.1.4 iOS, choosing to stay with 12.1.3 . Have not experienced the problem since. I think the problem lies with 12.1.4, either inherent or in conjunction with 3rd party apps. As near as I can recall, the problem didn't start until after I had updated to 12.1.4. Can't swear to it, but fairly sure.

Mar 22, 2019 3:08 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Mar 22, 2019 5:13 PM in response to JR-Pars In response to JR-Pars

This issue had started for all year and model iPad Pros since the initial release of IOS 12.

Some users have stated their iPad Pros started having this unresponsive touch screen issues as far back as IOS 11.4.1

Based upon many comments across 25 thread postings, I have no doubt, now, that this is an IOS software related issue/bug.

Mar 22, 2019 5:13 PM

Reply Helpful (6)
User profile for user: Pyro.Man

Question: iPad Pro touch screen intermittent unresponsive