Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K - Multiple Problems - Intermittent "My Computer" Loses Connection

I have an Apple TV 4K that I am having multiple problems with. The latest problem that recently started happening the last couple of weeks is that when I'm using "My Computer" and selecting a TV Show to watch, sometimes the TV show will start playing without any issues. Other times, it starts to play the video for a couple of seconds and then the screen turns gray for a few seconds and then the "Movies", "TV Shows", "Music", etc screen comes back up. If I navigate back to the TV show and start playing it, sometimes it will play without hesitation, other times it will play a few seconds and then the screen turns gray again and starts back over again. Some times when the gray screen comes up, it displays a message about Home Sharing library cannot be found and to try again.

I have rebooted and reset back to factory settings multiple times and the issue still persists. I've tried wireless network connection and wired network connection and the issue still persists.

I went to an Apple store and took it to the "Genius Bar" and they couldn't tell me anything. Nor could they say if it was a hardware problem or a software problem. They reset it back to factory settings before I left and I still have the same issue. I couldn't even demonstrate the problem to them since there is no way to access a iTunes library through Home Sharing at the Apple store.

Any one else having this same issue? I will make a post about another issue I am having with the Apple TV 4K since I purchased the unit.

Thanks for your time and any help and suggestions!

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 3:34 AM

You may find it is easier to AirPlay content from iTunes on your computer than it is to request that content by browsing the library from the Apple TV with Home Sharing, the former doesn't require transferring the catalogue from one device to the other. You may find things are more stable if both devices use a wired connection to your network. If you are connecting wirelessly and you have a dual band router it may help to isolate one band, e.g. disable either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio. It may also help to add fixed IP address reservations for each of your devices.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 3:34 AM in response to DalTexCowboy72

You may find it is easier to AirPlay content from iTunes on your computer than it is to request that content by browsing the library from the Apple TV with Home Sharing, the former doesn't require transferring the catalogue from one device to the other. You may find things are more stable if both devices use a wired connection to your network. If you are connecting wirelessly and you have a dual band router it may help to isolate one band, e.g. disable either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio. It may also help to add fixed IP address reservations for each of your devices.

tt2

Apple TV 4K - Multiple Problems - Intermittent "My Computer" Loses Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.