Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K slideshow crashes

Apple TV 4K crashes in slideshow from images on iMac through iTunes.

why does apple tv 4k crash in slideshow?

My apple 4k tv constantly crashes out of slideshow when running home sharing from my IMac after just a few slides!

iMac is 10.12.6

apple tv 4K 12.2.1 all up to date

Is this a issue with Apple TV or WiFi from the iMac?

should I return the Apple TV or will apple fix this issue?

yes, contacted support but the suggested changes did not ultimately fix. Many network confit changes do not help. Why is Apple TV so sensitive to wireless?

This issue is not just a few of us as there are many YouTube videos stating the same.

Apple where is the fix?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 2, 2019 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 12:24 PM

I have spent over 30 hours with Apple Support trying to sort this issue out. They have been very helpful but infuriating in that they have now accepted it is a known issue which is now being fixed by Apple software engineers. I will advise you when I get a likely date for it to be resolved.

Similar questions

13 replies

May 2, 2019 9:31 PM in response to Dmbibeault2006

This is a user forum, you aren’t addressing Apple

That would be due to an issue with the network. It is not a matter of the device being sensitive, any such device will require a stable network and be susceptible to issues when encountering things like interference.

Ultimately it does come down to a select group, there are millions of users who have it working without issue, and those who choose to troubleshoot can find and rectify the issue.

If you elaborate on what you have done to troubleshoot then someone can try to assist further.

May 17, 2019 1:22 PM in response to Dmbibeault2006

I have this too, I was hoping the latest tvOS 12.3 with mac osx 10.14.5 would fix it but it didn't.

I have a wired 1GB ethernet to which I connected my MacMini 2014, ATV4K and ATV4. On the Mac I set up a separate user account called photos, the iTunes library is empty I just activate homesharing. The 200GB photo library is local, on a fusion drive. Wake on Lan is active but I made sure the mac does not go to sleep.

On both ATVs a selected homeshared album slideshow crashes sooner or later.

I tried different combos: ATV4K on wifi, Mac on LAN, ATV4K and Mac on same airport express. I used ping to detect any packet loss ... 0% packet loss! Checked activity monitor but can't see anything special.

I also tried to homeshare from a MacBook Pro 2017 (local SSD drive) on wifi to ATV4K on LAN. That also failed ...

The only thing I noticed is once the album reaches a certain size around 150 photos the slideshow crashes at some point. Do know where else to look.

Jun 24, 2019 11:18 AM in response to ceraz

Don't care if addressing apple or not. I use the device all day long streaming everything from YouTube, Plex, music and other stuff. But, go into photo's and pick a folder to run a slide show and all issues appear.

I would think if it was "Network" related, it would happen to all applications running on it.

So, is it the itunes, IMac, Apple TV 4K or combination of each?

Response so far has been there are thousands of people using Apple TV! Well are they trying to run 4K slideshows from iTunes?

Jun 25, 2019 11:08 AM in response to Dmbibeault2006

I spent several hours today with a very helpful Apple Technician who is trying to get to the bottom of this issue. It is NOPT a network issue. We tried using a Personal Hotspot on my mobile to run the slideshow home sharing from my Mac using wifi from the hotspot, totally avoiding my BT modem/router. The slideshow still crashed. It works perfectly on 2 or 3 seconds per slide but always crashes after 40 seconds worth of 5, 10 or 20 seconds per slide. Interestingly, if I play slides from my Cloud account the slideshow does NOT crash. I am awaiting further developments from my Apple expert. My Mac OS has been completely rebuilt.

Jun 25, 2019 11:19 AM in response to Dmbibeault2006

You were addressing Apple and asking for a fix, when this is a user forum.

None of that rules out a network and is anecdotal evidence. You would need to do proper troubleshooting of the network rather than make assumptions.

If you would note the previous response it was that there were millions of Apple TV users.

While not everyone will be using slideshows there would be a lot who do and if there were an issue most of those would be experiencing this. As a result this forum alone would be full of reports, and this thread would have received traction almost immediately.

I also do a lot of testing and am unable to replicate. You can believe what you want, but if you are just here to rant then I suggest you do it elsewhere

Jun 26, 2019 2:50 AM in response to ceraz

Just some more additional information. I shoot with a 50MP DSLR and size my images to 16:9 to fit my LG OLED 4K C8 TV.

I had called apple support also after the helpful tips from website didn’t work back in Novemberish, and additionally went through all the “how to configure Apple TV” from online apple site etc. have Tri-Band network in house. Everything works flawlessly but this one feature.

interested to hear more on the buffering issue.

Apple TV 4K slideshow crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.