Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to share from iMovie - The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.)

Attempting to share my iMovie project (export) to file, but keep getting,

"The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.)"

Using MacOS v10.14.2 and iMovie v10.1.10 on brand new 2018 MacBook Pro 15" w/ 2TB SSD.

Also tried;

1. Rebooting
  2. Relaunching iMovie
  3. Create new Library in iMovie
  4. Export small project (still of 10 seconds)
  5. Trash and reinstall iMovie
  6. Reinstall MacOS

Stuck unable to export a few projects under deadline.

Any help greatly appreaciated.

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 1:56 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 20, 2019 8:54 AM in response to 'Gino'

Hi, Gino,

Adding to what léonie posted you might try the following procedures:

1. Start up in a new user account, such as the Guest account on your computer, and see if iMovie will work properly there.
  2. Boot up in Safe Mode (See Help menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. iMovie won't launch in safe mode, so you needn't try that. You just want to boot in Safe Mode and then immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode.

You might want to take a look at this thread to see if anything in there helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8421678

-- Rich

Jan 20, 2019 12:51 PM in response to Rich839

Did you try some of the solutions discussed in thread link below that I previously posted?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6454828

As you can see, the Compressor.Kit error is pesky. In addition to the suggestions in the post, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project.

You might also run a First Aid check from the Disk Utiity app on your Mac, to see if there is a hardware issue. You can also use Apple Diagnostics to check for hardware errors.

-- Rich

Jan 20, 2019 12:36 PM in response to Rich839

Attempted both suggested methods with new “test” account and safe boot and reboot but encounter same error on multiple projects.

Is is there another solution with the stand alone apple compressor app?

how can I try an earlier version of iMovie?

Looking for a solution as my work is impacted.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2019 12:41 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie

i have tried export / share across multiple file types including only video and only stills images (.jpeg, .pdf, .png) and result is same error message of share failed. It happens immediately after selecting save to a local directory.

I have also attempted switching directories.

This is is on a brand new MacBook Pro 15” with 2TB ssd max memory and advanced video card option.

Looking for a solution today as the issue is keeping me from getting work done.

Greatly at appreciate your help in trying to solve this.

Please advise what to do next?

Thanks in advance.

Unable to share from iMovie - The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.