Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband freezes when I try to open the Media Browser

I have a new MacBook, and trying to use garage band for the first time, it freezes when I try to open the media browser and I have to force quit. What's going on?

Macbook (2016 or later)

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 9:12 AM

trying to use garage band for the first time, it freezes when I try to open the media browser

see this thread for a solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250009410

go to System Preferences, click on Security & Privacy, click the lock to make changes, choose the Privacy menu, scroll to Photos, place a check mark in the box next to [GarageBand].  While in the Privacy menu, be sure to check your other permissions, for Microphone, Contacts, Calendar, Automation, iTunes .app, and Finder to make sure they're checked also.  In my case, all were checked, except Photos, which is apparently the one that causes the hang.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2019 9:12 AM in response to dancerkb

trying to use garage band for the first time, it freezes when I try to open the media browser

see this thread for a solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250009410

go to System Preferences, click on Security & Privacy, click the lock to make changes, choose the Privacy menu, scroll to Photos, place a check mark in the box next to [GarageBand].  While in the Privacy menu, be sure to check your other permissions, for Microphone, Contacts, Calendar, Automation, iTunes .app, and Finder to make sure they're checked also.  In my case, all were checked, except Photos, which is apparently the one that causes the hang.

Garageband freezes when I try to open the Media Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.