Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband isn't responding after the Mojave update

I'm working on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) that has GarageBand Version 10.3.1 on it. I just recently got the latest update from Sierra to Mojave and when I try to open up GB I get the color wheel thus leading me to Force Quit. When I do Force Quit is says it's not responding. HELP!!!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 2:23 AM

GarageBand may be trying to open a corrupted older project and is hanging.

If Force Quit is not working, restart your Mac by holding down the power button for a long time. Quit all other apps before you try that. Then try to start GarageBand again.

• But this time hold down the options key ⌥ while you double clicking the GarageBand icon in the Applications folder.
  • Keep holding down ⌥, until the menu in the main menu bar changes to "GarageBand". GarageBand will not open a window, just change the main menu bar.
  • Now go to the "File" menu in the main menu bar and select "File > New". Can you create a new project this way?

Is GarageBand working with a new project?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2018 2:23 AM in response to BowersBoy11

GarageBand may be trying to open a corrupted older project and is hanging.

If Force Quit is not working, restart your Mac by holding down the power button for a long time. Quit all other apps before you try that. Then try to start GarageBand again.

• But this time hold down the options key ⌥ while you double clicking the GarageBand icon in the Applications folder.
  • Keep holding down ⌥, until the menu in the main menu bar changes to "GarageBand". GarageBand will not open a window, just change the main menu bar.
  • Now go to the "File" menu in the main menu bar and select "File > New". Can you create a new project this way?

Is GarageBand working with a new project?

Garageband isn't responding after the Mojave update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.