Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand on Mojave

I use GarageBand 10.3.1. On High Sierra everything worked well but after update macOS to Mojave (10.14) GarageBand has started to freeze a lot. When I wanted to open my project—that on Hight Sierra worked normally well—it got stuck on Mojave. When sometimes the project is luckely opened it stucks while I want to play. And if I create new project it stucks while I'm closing it. What should I do? Apple please fix it! It's Mojave problem because if I open my project again on High Sierra everything works well.

MacBook Air, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 3:27 AM

4 replies

Oct 31, 2018 1:08 PM in response to goodliving

Hello goodliving,

Thanks for that information. Since it only occurs in your main user, I have some follow up troubleshooting to check.

This help article has information. Please check these sections specifically: If GarageBand for Mac won't open or play back your project - Apple Support

Check your external audio interface

Sometimes an incompatible or malfunctioning external audio interface can cause issues with GarageBand. If you're using an external audio interface, first try using the built-in audio on your Mac instead of the interface. If the issue continues to occur, open GarageBand without audio input and output.

If you aren't using an external audio interface, try disabling Audio Units plug-ins to continue troubleshooting your issue.

Use built-in audio with GarageBand

1. Unplug your external audio interface from your Mac.
  2. Open GarageBand, then choose GarageBand > Preferences > Audio/MIDI.User uploaded file
  3. Choose Built-in Output from the Output Device pop-up menu.
  4. Choose Built-in Microphone (or Built-in Input, depending on your computer) from the Input Device pop-up menu.
  5. Open and play back a project that has been experiencing issues.

If the project opens and plays back properly, you might need to update or service your audio interface. Contact the manufacturer for support.

Open GarageBand without audio input and output

1. Open GarageBand and immediately press and hold the Control key before a project opens.
  2. In the alert, click Don’t Launch.
    User uploaded file

If GarageBand opens, it can indicate the following:

• You might need to update or service your external audio interface. Contact the manufacturer for support.
  • An Audio Units plug-in might be damaged, or it might not be compatible with your version of GarageBand. You can try disabling plug-ins to troubleshoot your issue.

User uploaded file

Disable Audio Units plug-ins

If you're using Audio Units plug-ins, try disabling them. Damaged or incompatible Audio Units plug-ins can create unexpected behavior in GarageBand.

To disable Audio Units plug-ins:

1. Open a project in GarageBand.
  2. Go to GarageBand > Preferences > Audio/MIDI, and deselect Audio Units.
  3. Play back a project that has been experiencing issues.

If the project opens and plays back properly, a plug-in you're using in the project might be damaged or incompatible with your version of GarageBand. Check with the manufacturer of the plug-in for support.

User uploaded file

Create a new project

Create and test a new GarageBand project. GarageBand projects can occasionally become damaged, causing unexpected behavior.

To create and test a new project:

1. Open GarageBand and choose File > New.
  2. Choose Empty Project in the New Project window.
  3. Add audio files or Apple Loops to the new project.
  4. Play back the project. If the new project plays back properly, the previous project might be damaged.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Oct 30, 2018 3:56 PM in response to goodliving

Hello goodliving,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with GarageBand on your MacBook Air, and issues with the app freezing since upgrading to macOS Mojave. I am happy to help.

Since it's happening with saved projects as well as new projects, I recommend first trying the troubleshooting in this help article: macOS Sierra: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly - Apple Support

I know the article title says for macOS Sierra, but the steps are the same in macOS Mojave. The article above also has steps to check if the issue also occurs in safe mode. Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes is all that is necessary to correct some problems.

When you boot to safe mode, log in to your account and check if the issue is also occurring in safe mode or not. Please be aware, third party items are disabled in safe mode, which means some things may not work as expected, such as the speakers. This means, will not be able to play the project, but should be able to test if it saves or not, and is still freezing. Use this article for the steps to get into safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If everything is working properly in safe mode, but then is not working after you restart the Mac, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

If the issue is also occurring in safe mode, move on and test if this problem occurs in a newly created unmodified test administrator user account on your Mac. A test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide. Please check this help article: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

After you are done testing, please check the section related to results, titled "If the issue happens in the other account" or "If the issue doesn't happen in the other account”.

If you still need help, please let us know if the issue worked properly in safe mode or the test user when you write us back. Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Oct 31, 2018 4:12 AM in response to CarlosP1228

Thanks CarlosP1228 for the response. I tried it in Safe mode and GarageBand worked properly. I tried it in new macOS account and the problems didn't appear even there. So it happen only on my current account. I tried to uninstall GarageBand (by moving to Trash) and install again from AppStore but it didn't help me. Can you guide me how to fix it? Or how to uninstall GarageBand completely (even with a cache and last opened projects)?

A note what is wrong there too and happen only on my current macOS account: the playhead is not visible and if I want to move a region on a track by cursor move, the region is not updating while I'm moving.

GarageBand on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.