Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV is stuck in a endless loop of signing into your itunes account...

If your Apple TV is stuck in a endless loop of signing into your itunes account (in other words, forcing you to enter your itunes ID, then password, then a 6 digit verification code, then returning you right back to enter your itunes ID again, AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!)... here is the solution:

A) From an iPhone / iPad, go to ‘Settings’ => ‘Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store’

B) => ‘Password & Security’ =>’Get Verification Code’,

Now make note of the code or leave it displayed on your phone for reference.

C) on your Apple TV, go back to the troublesome iTunes login again and enter your itunes login ID.

Click ‘Submit’

D) you should now be on the ‘enter password’ screen.

Enter your password and append the verification code to the end of your password.

For example: if your password is ‘MyApple’ and the verification code is ‘121454’ , you would enter:

MyApple121454

E) click the ‘Submit’ button and your problem should be solved.

The Apple TV main menu will be displayed indicating that your itunes login was successful.

Posted on Jan 22, 2019 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2019 9:56 AM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew,

Thanks for your comment. I suspect that you might have skimmed what I wrote and missed a key point.

Actually, if a reader follows the order of my instructions, it will take significantly less time to perform the entire process than the regular Apple steps of entering ITunes ID, then Password, then Validation Code through the Apple TV interface. In other words, not needing to enter the validation code separately on a third screen means that there is one less Apple TV screen to navigate.

As far as the lifespan of a Validation Code goes, I know that it lasts for at least two minutes (perhaps longer), which should be plenty of time for pretty much anyone to enter a six digit code. If this is too short a period for someone to enter a validation code, then it may be wise to consider turning off two factor validation, at least temporarily.

Jan 22, 2019 10:04 AM in response to sc eh!

I read your post just fine and I have not missed anything. I do vigorous testing for the forum and have helped plenty of users with this very issue.

2 factor authentication is optimized for devices running on a newer OS and as such those older devices have to enter it differently.

The time limit is 30 seconds, if a user has a longer password and attempts to also enter the code that time limit will expire and that will boot it back to starting the process over. In order to have the time only apply to the code it needs to be requested after the password has been entered.

There is only a brief period for which it can be turned off, after that it is no longer possible.

Jan 22, 2019 10:47 AM in response to vazandrew

Hello again vazandrew,

Apple forum members are indeed fortunate to have your vigorous testing and vast expertise at their disposal.

As for your comment about a time limit of 30 seconds... I would be remiss to not make a clarification albit greatly simplified:

New validation codes are generated/issued by the server every time a request for a code is issued OR every 30 seconds, whichever comes first. This is completely separate process/issue from the expiry period of an issued code. Simply put, validation code generation vs. the expiry of a validation code are unrelated.

Appending the validation code to the password allows the authentication server to process both the password and the validation code within milliseconds of each other versus the long delay between entering a password and validation code on separate Apple TV screens and thus the reason that this solution works.

Jan 22, 2019 10:58 AM in response to sc eh!

I am aware of that, but the expiry of the code is also 30 seconds and has been verified.

When a user is using a current device they enter the code separately and there shouldn't be an issue, but when it is done on an older device they are bound to enter the password and code together as it is the only way they will be able to sign in with 2 factor authentication.

When entering a long password and then attempting to enter the code the time will expire and it will boot the user out, requiring them to start the process over.

The user needs to enter the password, then request the code and then add it to the end of the password, in order to use that time wisely.

Merely amending the code to the password does not work for everyone and I have had to walk a lot of users through this method. Thus it is imperative that they have all the information and why I felt the need to respond here in order to avoid further frustration when others see the thread.

Apple TV is stuck in a endless loop of signing into your itunes account...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.