Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto & iPhone X

All my pictures in photos are not opening up thats I took with my iPhone X and cannot be edited for the ones I can open and they all look blurry yet with my old iPhone the pictures are fine. Is there an update I am missing? Anyone else having these issues? Is it because I am using El Capitan 10.11.6?

Or is this it? Because I am using iPhone X I need to update my iMac?

Thanks.

iPhone XS

Posted on Jan 24, 2019 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2019 3:34 AM

It will depend on the image format you have selected on your iPhone for new photos and videos. The iPhone supports the new, space saving HEIF format. Your Mac can read the HEIF format for videos and photos, if you upgrade the Mac to macOS 10.13 High Sierra or macOS 10.14 Mojave.

If you do not want to upgrade to High Sierra with pPhotos 3.0 or Mojave with Photos 4.0, change the settings on the iPhone, so the new media files will be using a more compatible format. You can also change the settings, so the photos will be converted to JPEG and the videos to H.264. Then you can use them on El capitan. Photos is much more versatile on Mojave. It supports the Live Photos and Portrait Mode photos much better.

See this support document on how to handle the HEIF format on your iPhone:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

To turn off HEIF on the iPhone:

Though capturing in HEIF and HEVC format is recommended, you can set these devices to capture media using older formats that are more broadly compatible with other operating systems and devices:

1. In iOS 11, go to Settings > Camera.
    2. Tap Formats.
    3. Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format.
    4. All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

To download HEIF as JPEG:

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device to Photos, Image Capture, or a PC, the media might be converted to JPEG or H.264.

You can change this import behavior in iOS 11 or later. Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted when importing.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2019 3:34 AM in response to AshZ

It will depend on the image format you have selected on your iPhone for new photos and videos. The iPhone supports the new, space saving HEIF format. Your Mac can read the HEIF format for videos and photos, if you upgrade the Mac to macOS 10.13 High Sierra or macOS 10.14 Mojave.

If you do not want to upgrade to High Sierra with pPhotos 3.0 or Mojave with Photos 4.0, change the settings on the iPhone, so the new media files will be using a more compatible format. You can also change the settings, so the photos will be converted to JPEG and the videos to H.264. Then you can use them on El capitan. Photos is much more versatile on Mojave. It supports the Live Photos and Portrait Mode photos much better.

See this support document on how to handle the HEIF format on your iPhone:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

To turn off HEIF on the iPhone:

Though capturing in HEIF and HEVC format is recommended, you can set these devices to capture media using older formats that are more broadly compatible with other operating systems and devices:

1. In iOS 11, go to Settings > Camera.
    2. Tap Formats.
    3. Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format.
    4. All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

To download HEIF as JPEG:

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device to Photos, Image Capture, or a PC, the media might be converted to JPEG or H.264.

You can change this import behavior in iOS 11 or later. Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted when importing.

iPhoto & iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.