Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is SWC Agent Database in keychain?

Upgraded my MacBook a couple weeks ago to Mojave. Just noticed today that there's a keychain item simply called "SWC Agent Database", and the "Access Control" tab shows to allow application "swcd" to access it. I've never seen this in keychain before and I'm unable to find out anything about it by searching online. Anyone know what this is?

Posted on Jan 24, 2019 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2019 9:23 AM

I can confirm that "SWC Agent Database" is in the Keychain on my Mac mini running macOS Mojave.

In addition to leroydouglas' excellent breakdown on this launch agent process:

• The swc daemon (swcd) components can be located at:
    • /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.swcd.plist
    • /System/Library/Sandbox/Profiles/com.apple.swcd.sb
    • /usr/libexec/swcd
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2019 9:23 AM in response to Steve Ascheman

I can confirm that "SWC Agent Database" is in the Keychain on my Mac mini running macOS Mojave.

In addition to leroydouglas' excellent breakdown on this launch agent process:

• The swc daemon (swcd) components can be located at:
    • /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.swcd.plist
    • /System/Library/Sandbox/Profiles/com.apple.swcd.sb
    • /usr/libexec/swcd

Jan 24, 2019 11:58 AM in response to Steve Ascheman

there's a keychain item simply called "SWC Agent Database", and the "Access Control" tab shows to allow application "swcd" to access it. I've never seen this in keychain before

I would suspect there are many things in the Keychain you are not able to identify—is it cause for concern— no.

"SWC Agent Database" — is Shared Web Credentials and is part of the macOS / iOS system files LaunchServices.applicationRegistered

along with swcagent, swcd.

Some factoids:

• SWC is shared web credential.
  • swcd is the shared web credential daemon.
  • That daemon uses NSURLSession to fetch the apple-app-site-association file.
  • That message is generated when NSURLSession delivers the -URLSession:task:willPerformHTTPRedirection:newRequest:completionHandler: delegate callback to swcd.
  • When swcd
  • gets this delegate callback and issues this log message, it always
  • calls the completion handler with nil, causing the body of the
  • redirection response to be delivered as the payload of this request.

I would not recommend deleting it.

Jan 24, 2019 11:11 AM in response to Steve Ascheman

To help troubleshoot your Mac, I would suggest that you consider using EtreCheck and posting the resultant report for us to review. (Note: The EtreCheck report does NOT contain any personal information.) 

• You can download EtreCheck from here.
  • Start EtreCheck from a normal user account. Optionally, you can run it from a user account with Administrator privileges.
  • Select a problem from the drop-down menu to enable the "Start EtreCheck" button. Optionally, you can add comments on what issues your Mac is experiencing, especially to aide others with similar Mac issues.
  • Click on Start EtreCheck
  • Allow the program to run to completion.
  • When done, select Report from the left-side window to display it.
  • Select the Share Report icon, then select Copy Report.
  • Paste the report to your reply post. Hint: Use the Add Text option from the ASC editor's menu bar.

Ref:

Jan 24, 2019 11:15 AM in response to Tesserax

Why do I need to install something to check it out? If the keychain item is not in a typical Mojave keychain and therefore not related to Mojave, then I'd rather just delete it. I don't know of a single 3rd-party software program on my MacBook that would require a keychain entry, therefore it's either Mojave related, or it needs to get deleted.

Jan 25, 2019 9:30 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you. Usually I'm able to find info about things like this using a simple search on the internet, but couldn't find anything about SWC Agent Database (not even on the Apple community support forum), so I was starting to get concerned that somehow some malware or something had gotten downloaded onto my laptop. I've been a Mac user since System 8.x, so I'm pretty careful about what I download & install, websites that I visit, etc. Have never had malware or adware on any of my Macs so far, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Jan 25, 2019 9:42 AM in response to Steve Ascheman

You're very welcome! Although I have been around well before System 8, I started with punch cards to run FORTRAN on main frames, then on to Commodore PET > original IBM PC, and finally entered into Mac domain with OS X 10.1 for home use ... so I fully understand your point.

Apple added a lot of "lock down" processes with, especially starting with macOS Sierra and appears to continue to do so with each new OS addition. I wouldn't be surprised to see even more "mysterious" processes showing up in the Activity Monitor going forward.

Feb 6, 2019 8:25 AM in response to MontanaMarie

First, I suggest that you start a new post and describe the issue or issues that you are having with your Mac. The reason is that the potential solutions to resolve it/them my be different than that of the OP of this post.

FWIW. Installing EtreCheck does not place any hidden files on your Mac. It can easily be completely deleted by just dragging it to the Trash. What is really helpful is that it creates an in-depth report on the health of your computer and provides a report, which you can elect (or not to) share with the community for us to help you.

what is SWC Agent Database in keychain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.