Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Not Ejected Properly

In the last couple of weeks, my iMac 5K has developed an odd behavior upon going to sleep. I have 2 LaCie external Thunderbolt drives attached. Upon awakening the Mac, I routinely find a long string of messages regarding the older drive "Disk Not Ejected Properly." There are 30 or 40 of these messages in a long string.

The older LaCie drives have always had a problem with unexpectedly ejecting when the Mac sleeps, but this issue of doing so repeatedly is new. Fortunately the newest Thunderbolt 2 drive does not have this behavior. But at $900 a pop, I don't want to just trash my older drives.

I have tried swapping Thunderbolt cables and ports without resolution. I think it is a software issue. I am pessimistic about a fix, but I thought I would throw it out there and hope!

iMac with Retina 5K display, 10.14

Posted on Jan 27, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 11:10 AM

I agree with maxkwok Leaving the disk on shouldn't be a worry. Hard disks spin down on their own within 15 minutes of inactivity.

Also FWIW, I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2019 11:10 AM in response to Doctor Ralph

I agree with maxkwok Leaving the disk on shouldn't be a worry. Hard disks spin down on their own within 15 minutes of inactivity.

Also FWIW, I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

Jan 28, 2019 11:02 AM in response to maxkwok

I think by swapping cables and ports, I have eliminated the loose connection or bad port possibilities. I have unchecked the put drives to sleep when possible option, and we will see what happens. Although I am not wild about keeping the drives running 24/7, I suppose it is better than replacing them.

I know others are having this problem too, and no one seems to have an explanation. Maybe Apple and/or LaCie will eventually come up with a fix.

Disk Not Ejected Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.