Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation lock with proof of purchase

Hi,

I am second owner of the iPhone 6 device. It is activation locked from the previous owner (not in lost mode). I have contacted customer service, provided them with high quality picture of the proof of purchase. Security team has declined it stating that they need more documentation. I have checked it with the reseller and they have issued me the same invoice/proof of purchase and placed a stamp on it, stating that this is the only document they provide when they are selling the new device.

How and where can I file a complaint against this decision?

Looks like even having an invoice is not enough to remove this.

I am coming from EU country and the proof of purchase is from the same country.

Please advise me, thanks!

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 8:34 AM

This simply cannot be right. You have to have rights as a second owner. Imagine having a second hand car, you lose the keys and then you cannot get another set of keys? That is absurd.

On the other hand, you are not supposed to resell your device once you have it?

18 replies

Feb 5, 2019 10:20 AM in response to Capo23

So you bought it from the owner who bought it from AT&T? Get him/her to remove the lock. There are many help articles for dealing with forgotten IDs and passwords and the person needs to follow recommendations in those (there are severak si I am not going to paste links to them until I know which you need). If the original owner can log into iCloud they can remotely remove the device from their listing. We just did that with a pair of iPads belonging to my sister. Or the original owner stands a better chance at having Apple reset their device for them.

Resellers, as we use the term, are usually third party vendors who are not authorized by Apple.

Apple provides no warranty support for cellular devices outside of the country of purchase.

Feb 5, 2019 8:27 AM in response to Capo23

Apple will only unlock an Activation Locked device for the original owner, not for any subsequent owner even though they have a purchase document, so I'm sorry to say that in the situation you describe there is no way you are ever going to use the phone. Take it back to the reseller and demand a refund: they have sold you a useless device if they can't contact the original owner to get him to unlock it.

Feb 5, 2019 8:45 AM in response to Capo23

Along the lines of what Roger Wilmut says, Apple has no fixed policy about this and it is up to the store manager under what conditions they will unlock a device. It is quite possible a device could not be yours even if you have the original receipt but that's with somebody elses name. One person in a case of divorced couples could have walked away with a spouse's device and the receipt and it certainly doesn't belong to that person.

Feb 5, 2019 8:44 AM in response to Capo23

The car analogy is not identical. In the case of cars there has to be a legal transfer of ownership demonstrated by the previous owner signing the transfer of the paper title, and a specific procedure is provided for that. If you have a car and the keys to a car that does not demonstrate ownership. In fact I was told if we later wanted additional keys for our car I would have to present the car title and identification at the dealership.

In the case of a device the equivalent would be for the former owner to remove the device from their device listing in iCloud or disabling Find My on the device itself, which unfortunately this person did not. Right now you have a car and a key that does not work and no way to get a new key without the title demonstrating ownership. Since there is no set policy we don't know exactly what would be required other than it is unfortunate the original owner did not remove the device from their list. Until it is removed from their iCloud it is still "their" device.

Feb 5, 2019 8:45 AM in response to Capo23

The manufacturer of any item has no responsibility to a subsequent purchaser once it is sold on. Suppose, for example, you bought a second-hand Rolex watch, only to find out when you got it home that it was internally damaged in some way. Your complaint would be with the shop who sold it to you, not with Rolex. The Activation Lock is designed as an anti-theft device, to make a stolen phone unusable and therefore worthless: it has been successful in reducing thefts but there are still cases where a thief has sold on a locked phone to some unsuspecting purchaser.

In your case the original owner should have removed the lock, and the shop you bought it from should have made sure that he had. And they have to take responsibility for its not working, so your complaint is with them.

Apple are not going to go unlocking phones other than the original owner, or provide a bypass method: if there were a way of bypassing the lock there would be no point in having it in the first place.

On the other hand, you are not supposed to resell your device once you have it?

Of course you can sell on your phone or any other device: but if you have damaged it (and locking it it is much the same as damaging the internals in some way) then you would be committing a fraud if you don't make it clear.

Feb 5, 2019 8:52 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I have not stated that the device was bought in a shop. Majority of the purchases are not happening in shops but in websites like ebay in belonging country. And you buy a phone from a private person, not from some company.

Activation lock does its purpose, no question about it - but this cannot be for the cases where you have invoice/proof of purchase.

Feb 5, 2019 8:58 AM in response to Capo23

Huh? Marriage advisor? No. It was just an example where a person could have both the device and the receipt and still not be the legal owner of the device. What you are missing is the proof of transfer of ownership which as far as Apple is concerned is the device having been removed from the previous owner's iCloud account. Even if you had that, Apple has no stated policy about device unlocking and can simply refuse if you cannot convince the store manager you are the owner. It is up to the manager. You can try another store but you may find it to be the same. Them unlocking it is a favor to you, not a requirement on the part of Apple and certainly not one they have to extend to a second owner. The store from which you bought it was in error, basically selling you a non-functioning iPhone.

Feb 5, 2019 9:04 AM in response to Capo23

There is no reason why a re-seller might not be in possession of stolen goods. They may not even know it. I'm not saying this one was stolen but they made the mistake of accepting a locked phone. It would be like a used car dealer buying a car from somebody and not requiring the title be signed to demonstrate transfer of ownership. The analogy is not 100% identical since in this case it is more like they sold you a used car but never got the title or keys from the original owner and without the title you can't get replacement keys.

The bottom line is, the re-seller made the mistake and Apple doesn't have to do anything for you about this since you aren't even the original owner and you can't prove you don't have a stolen device.

Feb 5, 2019 9:31 AM in response to Limnos

So, this is the device's path: carrier/reseller (as AT&T USA) => private customer => me. So, no stolen goods, nothing blurry or similar in this story.

What when the previous owner does not know how to remove it and does not want to bother with it? What then?

So, where and whom I can get to in this case?

Feb 5, 2019 10:40 AM in response to Limnos

Just gave you an example so you can imagine the way.

The owner is sick and not able to do anything. On the other hand, this should be irrelevant because there are so many different cases where people are not willing or not able to do anything in order to remove iCloud.

So, no, person cannot log in to their iCloud account. If they were, I would not be asking questions where to ask for my rights here as the owner.

Feb 5, 2019 4:00 PM in response to Capo23

Your description of the issue is vague which is why we are being vague. I don't know if the reseller from whom you obtained the device is somebody off e-bay or an authorized Apple retailer. Right now we have the possibilities it was a shady dealer off e-bay to it is a relative on their deathbed. What is clear is:

1) Apple has no official policy about unlocking devices. Some stores may do it if you can convince them to their satisfaction, others may say "no" and that's it. Since it is not a service mentioned on any Apple web site, asking to have it done is entirely up to the mercy of the store. A place can decide they simply don't want to deal with it even if you can prove you are the original owner. Apparently if you are you stand a better chance of convincing them to do it, but they can decide where they draw the line since it is a service which does not officially exist.

2) You apparently have a USA device in Europe which places you on a weaker footing since Apple normally won't even consider trying to offer service to a cellular device outside the country of origin.

3) Apple does have a series of assistance for people to recover their Apple IDs. So their official recovery method is to do their best so the owner (and ownership in this case is defined as the person whose Apple ID has locked the phone) is able to recover their ID.

As I already stated, a receipt not in your name is proof of nothing.

I understand you are frustrated and your topic about this is just one of the dozen or so I see here every day for the past 5 years. Before then it was complaints from people about how easy it was for a thief to reset a stolen phone and why didn't Apple do something about it, so I guess you can't win.

Activation lock with proof of purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.