Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Light Leakage on iPad Pro 12.9” (2017 model)

This is currently my 2nd replacement on my iPad Pro (bought my wife one at exact same time and hers had the same issue and was replaced, too) and I’m having the same issue that caused the first to be replaced, which starts with the display not always responding to touch, then as time goes on there begins to be light leakage around the border of the display like the LCD screen is separating or something.

I’m sending it in for repair again, but my question is how is this going to be handled if it happens again once I receive my iPad back for a 3rd time?

It’s a letdown to pay over $1200 for a device that keeps having the same issue. I’ve literally had my iPad for 11 months at the longest (that was when I first purchased it) and with this replacement I’ve only had it for less than 6 months before having to send it back.

iPad Pro, 12

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 5:14 PM

Since none of us work for Apple, we can't tell you what Apple will do should this happen a 3rd time. I can understand the frustration, but Apple is generally really good about ensuring that if something is defective they take care of it. Did you by chance purchase AppleCare+ with the device when you bought it? That would help in case something goes wrong a 3rd time. Hopefully, this replacement will be the last one you'll need.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2019 5:14 PM in response to ichig085

Since none of us work for Apple, we can't tell you what Apple will do should this happen a 3rd time. I can understand the frustration, but Apple is generally really good about ensuring that if something is defective they take care of it. Did you by chance purchase AppleCare+ with the device when you bought it? That would help in case something goes wrong a 3rd time. Hopefully, this replacement will be the last one you'll need.

Feb 7, 2019 5:27 PM in response to lobsterghost1

No - I didn’t purchase the AppleCare+ as my previous iPhone 3GS lasted me almost 10yrs with no issues and my wife’s Apple devices all lasted a number of years, so I figured the reliability of an iPad Pro wouldn’t be an issue.

Customer Relations was friendly and waved any fees due to it being a recurring issue. I’m glad for the friendliness, but I need a reliable device. I don’t want to keep having to send it in for repair for a problem totally out of my control.

Not sure if this is causing it, but I do a lot of work from the iPad (bought it to replace my laptop) and it’s on for 10hrs - 16hrs daily. and sometimes even longer as I sometimes leave it on. I’d like to believe Apple would have tested these types of things, right?

Feb 7, 2019 5:57 PM in response to ichig085

Yeah, figured - just a bit disappointing to be having the same issue again. When I received this replacement I called Apple Support to find out what the repair technician left in the notes, but it just stated the device was unable to be repaired and a replacement was needed. Same thing in the notes with my wife’s iPad replacement.

Feb 7, 2019 6:21 PM in response to ichig085

A lot? Not really. Have there been some? Sure. But when you consider the fact this is the most used Apple forum on the planet, visited by hundreds of thousands, if not millions of users, the numbers are remarkably low, thus I would guess statistically insignificant when you consider how many millions of iPad's that have been sold. You have just had an unusual experience.

Light Leakage on iPad Pro 12.9” (2017 model)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.