Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes App Store error 8288, failure to download

Getting this constantly right now, status website reports no issues. ?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 8:48 PM

After experiencing the same issue on multiple machines with the same operating system and iTunes versions i spoke with an experienced Apple Enterprise Support team member. They provided a solution with seems the be simplicity itself - after two days of careful consultation and screen sharing. By the way, hey couldn't reproduce the problem from their end, hence the feeling the the account itself might be the culprit. It is not an app blocking issue per-se, more an iTunes/Apple Account security 'feature'. If your account details or payment methods have been flagged for 'non-authorised activity' or 'suspicious transactions' it maybe suspended (with out notification or human intervention) until such times as your ID is re-established and the flag removed. Sometimes this can occur well after the said suspicious event. I my case i had multiple Apple accounts in several countries. Only one of which had the 'update error 8288' issue. This one account had been not been flagged as needing ID verification strangely. After changing the account payment method to "NONE' and then re-entering the required credit card details, the Enterprise rep verified my ID using the 3 questions set when the account was first created. Violå. Problem solved in this instance. All updates completed successfully and all machines. The Mac operating version or iTunes version was not really the issue in my case.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2019 8:48 PM in response to wadesmith

After experiencing the same issue on multiple machines with the same operating system and iTunes versions i spoke with an experienced Apple Enterprise Support team member. They provided a solution with seems the be simplicity itself - after two days of careful consultation and screen sharing. By the way, hey couldn't reproduce the problem from their end, hence the feeling the the account itself might be the culprit. It is not an app blocking issue per-se, more an iTunes/Apple Account security 'feature'. If your account details or payment methods have been flagged for 'non-authorised activity' or 'suspicious transactions' it maybe suspended (with out notification or human intervention) until such times as your ID is re-established and the flag removed. Sometimes this can occur well after the said suspicious event. I my case i had multiple Apple accounts in several countries. Only one of which had the 'update error 8288' issue. This one account had been not been flagged as needing ID verification strangely. After changing the account payment method to "NONE' and then re-entering the required credit card details, the Enterprise rep verified my ID using the 3 questions set when the account was first created. Violå. Problem solved in this instance. All updates completed successfully and all machines. The Mac operating version or iTunes version was not really the issue in my case.

Feb 12, 2019 2:34 PM in response to TheDigitalZoo

Thank you, I was able to simply re-enter my credit details (there was no way I could find to enter 'none') and apps (which had accumulated to over 100 un-updated started flowing in again. This, however, is YET ANOTHER example of Apple not giving a **** about telling people what the **** is actually happening! Let us know that 8288 means you credit info needs updating or re-setting. Sometimes Apple's behavior is truly demonic.

Feb 12, 2019 5:26 PM in response to wadesmith

It appears there may have been a confluence of events regarding the “8288 error” resolution. Firstly, my inquiries offered up a solution that worked for me and others (and gave Apple an insight into the real issue), whilst in the background Apple MAY have fixed an accounts database or universal activity log issue that effected both myself and numerous others. The timing maybe accidental but my conversations seem the indicate that Apple were aware - if only for small numbers of users - of other instances to investigate. My contact did not want to discuss or address what was happening in the forums. Make of that what you will...

iTunes App Store error 8288, failure to download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.