You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Number Changed to Primary on iPhone

I have an iPhone XS Max. It is now February of 2019. I cannot remove this message from texts with non-iPhone users. I have done everything that is suggested online, but it still remains. I am up-to-date with my software, operating on iOS 12.1.4.

I do not know what else to do. This is a very expensive phone, yet I have to deal with glitches like this? Unacceptable.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max, 12

Posted on Feb 10, 2019 11:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2019 5:06 PM

I FIXED IT!!! I found a thread online and followed it step by step. I did restart my iPhone between the steps in Image 1 and Image 2. And then I deleted the thread that was having the problem. But now there is NO MORE line between each reply.

And Apple said it couldn't be fixed.

Here is what I did:

44 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2019 5:06 PM in response to lorimand

I FIXED IT!!! I found a thread online and followed it step by step. I did restart my iPhone between the steps in Image 1 and Image 2. And then I deleted the thread that was having the problem. But now there is NO MORE line between each reply.

And Apple said it couldn't be fixed.

Here is what I did:

Feb 10, 2019 2:36 PM in response to sberman

I am doing nothing but messaging via text with my son who is on a Galaxy. I don't know what on earth I can be doing incorrectly. I have his contact set up with one number. I tried to set it up with the same number twice to see if that would change anything. It didn't.

So what would you suggest? I'm really bothered by seeing this constantly.

Feb 10, 2019 3:35 PM in response to lorimand

I don't have two lines.

Check Settings > Cellular. Do you see a row that says “Add Cellular Plan”? If you tap on that, are you asked to enter a QR code? (I know that’s what you should see if you do not have two lines.)

Is there some place in Settings > Cellular where you’re offered the opportunity to label your phone number “Primary”?

Feb 10, 2019 5:51 PM in response to lorimand

It’s great that you fixed it!

By the way, presumably without a country code, your telephone number contains ten digits, not nine.

And for what it’s worth, my number contains the “+1” country code and works just fine with SMS texting from my iPhone XS.

But likely flushing out and re-entering the phone number and/or removing the old threads got rid of the problem.

Enjoy your Apple gear, and thanks for posting the remedy.

Feb 10, 2019 6:16 PM in response to sberman

I am so happy to be able to post a resolution. I really don't like not finding the fix for anything computer related. I had to see if there was anything I was missing.

I think it's like when your Internet needs to be reset at home. The order in which you shut down and restart your modem and router makes a difference. So I think you had to do things to fix this, too, in the correct order. And yes, deleting that entire text thread and restarting the phone had to help.

Ahhh. Feeling better now. Thanks for your trying to help me. I appreciate it.

Apr 8, 2019 5:51 PM in response to lorimand

They actually did fix this issue. Purchased xs max when via preorder. Had number changed to primary message constantly even though dual sim capability was not even available yet. When they released the first ios update, the number changed to primary completely went away. Following update, it was back. Apple support said they weren’t sure why they didn’t keep that as is and it would go back but they are “aware of the situation.” So stupid.

Apr 10, 2019 7:17 PM in response to lorimand

And it's back!

Oh well... not that big a deal anyway! Even did a hard reset on my XR and restored it thru iTunes, at the direction of the Apple tech I was talking with. No luck.

It must be embarrassing for Apple that they can't seem to fix such a straight forward, repeatable glitch. They have written OS code for cell phones before right? Keep on trying Apple... maybe 12.3?

Apr 14, 2019 2:50 PM in response to lorimand

It was driving me crazy as well. But there is simple easy fix. Figured out on my own LOL 😂

Go to Settings of course

Then Messages , then Send and receive window should be your phone number click there and there you’ll see that you can receive iMessages and replay from your phone number , email , Apple email , unmark all of that just leave your phone number marked.

Thats it!!! Couldn’t believe that was so easy. It works now without the annoying “Number changed to primary “

Hope it helped

Apr 14, 2019 3:05 PM in response to StanleyHillside

It was driving me crazy as well. But there is simple easy fix. Figured out on my own LOL 😂

Go to Settings of course

Then Messages , then Send and receive window should be your phone number click there and there you’ll see that you can receive iMessages and replay from your phone number , email , Apple email , unmark all of that just leave your phone number marked.

Thats it!!! Couldn’t believe that was so easy. It works now without the annoying “Number changed to primary “

Hope it helped

Number Changed to Primary on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.