Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro bend???

I’ve had my iPad in a solid case from day 1. Not Ottobox, military grade but a hard case. Today I picked up my iPad and it is bent at the bottom in the exact middle. So now it is curved.

It never fell. Apple inspected it and saw that there is no trauma or other damage except that it is bent. The glass is fine. They said they never saw that before. Apple support says I have to pay but I believe Apple in general knows that this is defect of their product but they need enough persons to complain to admit there is an issue. I don’t believe I should pay if it is a defective engineering issue. Has anyone in the community experienced this?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2019 2:58 AM

That’s a great result. Whilst it is good to see that you’ve managed to straighten-out the bend, this “fix” demonstrates just how soft and maleable the alloy used in its manufacture must be.

You should be mindful that the bent/straighened area will now be weaker than it was originally from the factory - and therefore susceptable to further damage.

We’ll all be interested to learn if the iPad now keeps its restored shape. Do let us know if the bend returns.

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2019 2:58 AM in response to Prince D

That’s a great result. Whilst it is good to see that you’ve managed to straighten-out the bend, this “fix” demonstrates just how soft and maleable the alloy used in its manufacture must be.

You should be mindful that the bent/straighened area will now be weaker than it was originally from the factory - and therefore susceptable to further damage.

We’ll all be interested to learn if the iPad now keeps its restored shape. Do let us know if the bend returns.

Feb 28, 2019 6:15 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the input. I fixed my own iPad with two wrenches. Every night I had the wrenches hold it flat. After a week it was straight as new.

I’m going to get an Otterbox. I believe we always picked it up on that same side, on the edge. The weight of the iPad and the poor engineering I believe over time caused it to bend. I’m very disappointed in Apples engineering for this product.

Feb 15, 2019 4:05 PM in response to Allan Eckert

This image above is almost exactly what Apple showed in an image on MacDailyNews about Apple's manufacturing cooling process causing what Apple termed “ a slight bend” in the new iPad Pro back enclosure case/chassis.

This affects mostly the new 2018 iPad Pro models with cellular data.

MacDailyNews stories here

http://macdailynews.com/2018/12/20/apple-says-some-2018-ipad-pro-units-ship-with-bent-chassis-but-they-dont-consider-it-a-defect/

http://macdailynews.com/2018/12/27/apples-gaslighting-over-bent-ipads-is-a-stunning-response-to-a-serious-problem/

http://macdailynews.com/2018/12/21/apples-dan-riccio-says-2018-ipad-pro-meets-or-exceeds-quality-standards-of-design-and-precision/

Feb 15, 2019 5:00 PM in response to MichelPM

Yes I have AppleCare+. I know they will want me to pay $49. I’m upset to pay for an incident I don’t believe I caused but a product defect. I’m not in the return window so unless I get an understanding rep I will have to pay. If the next one bends then that will push me over the edge. I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue. Because the Apple rep said he never saw a bend without any trauma before and he never heard of any iPads bending hmmm...

Feb 19, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Prince D

The new 2018 iPad Pro models have a number of weak points. Aside from the unrelated “Antenna Bendgate” saga, the two points that give most issue are where the very thin edges are structurally at their weakest. These points are principally at the centre of the long edge (where it is pierced for a microphone) and at the cutout for the USB-C port - where you appear to have a bend in yours.

Whilst you may have been careful to keep your iPad in a hard case, its design will influence how it is held within the case - and in turn, how you physically have to fit the iPad within its clutches...

If the case surrounds all the edges - and you have to apply some pressure on the iPad to seat it, you run the risk of applying pressure at a weak point. Similarly, if the fitted case is tightly fitting, it is possible that the iPad casing may be stressed, leading to mechanical failure. Both of these issues can, potentially, lead to bending of an already weakened iPad casing.

Whilst it doesn’t help you, the older iPad and iPad Pro models are much stronger. The minimalist design of the latest iPad removes material that might otherwise serve to mechanically strengthen the iPad casing. You’ll note that Apple’s own folio case is secured only with magnets - imparting no direct mechanical stress (and consequently no edge protection) to the iPad at all.

By all accounts the 2018 iPad Pro models appear to be, when compared with earlier generations, relatively fragile.

iPad Pro bend???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.