Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split View within ONE Pages Document

MS Word (oops) has a very practical function to split the view of one document (see screenshot). This feature is very useful e.g. when you want to write in your document while you still need to read text on a different page without having to scroll back and forth. (I am not talking here about splitting windows or seeing different documents at the same time.) It seems Pages does not have this function?

MacBook Pro 15", 10.14

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 8:49 PM

8 replies

Feb 19, 2019 1:27 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ian, but no, this is not what I am looking for.

The "Two Pages" view in Pages allows only to view two consecutive pages at the same time. MS Word allows independent scrolling in split view in the two windows. E.g. you can be on page 2 in the first window, whilst looking at page 4, 7, or 29 in the other window.

Feb 20, 2019 4:01 AM in response to Immo Junghaertchen

just to wrap up what everyone was already implying: Pages can't do that as of right now.

Thanks, Immo; clear and concise answer!

You'll find this feature in many, if not all, text editors, such as BBedit or CotEditor.

A pity, isn't it? I hope that the Apple folks are reading this, and would appreciate this as a new feature in the next Pages release...

Feb 19, 2019 2:04 AM in response to sageonthehill

Hi sageonthehill,

E.g. you can be on page 2 in the first window, whilst looking at page 4, 7, or 29 in the other window.

I don't know of a way to do that in Pages without having two versions of the document open. Menu > Window > Merge All Windows.

Flip between them and edit.

Make sure that you save the master document! Or it could lead to trouble...

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 19, 2019 5:31 PM in response to sageonthehill

Hi sage,

If you need only a static view of the 'other' page, open your document, press command-P to open the Print dialogue, then click the PDF button at lower left and choose Open PDF in Preview.

Set the two documents side by side on the screen, and scroll to the page you want to view in Preview and to the page you want to edit in Pages.

When finished, close the PDF (or quit Preview) without saving. Save and close the Pages document.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 20, 2019 2:23 AM in response to sageonthehill

Hi Sage,

just to wrap up what everyone was already implying: Pages can't do that as of right now. There's not a hidden setting, only workarounds.

You'll find this feature in many, if not all, text editors, such as BBedit or CotEditor. They work with clear text, without any formatting. I prefer them for their flexibility when writing text and save embellishments such as font sizes, layout etc. for later. That way, I can focus on content. When the text is done, I copy it over to Pages for bells and whistles.

If this is not your cup of tea, look whether the workarounds of the other helpful answers will be sufficient, or switch your word processor (back) to Word or LibreOffice.

Kind regards

Feb 20, 2019 4:34 AM in response to sageonthehill

Hi Sage,

A pity, isn't it? I hope that the Apple folks are reading this, and would appreciate this as a new feature in the next Pages release...

Apple employees read these forums only sporadically. To make sure your voice is heard, choose the "Feedback to Pages" entry in the Menu titled "Pages" (right next to the Apple logo when Pages is active).

You'll be taken to an online form where you can submit your feature request. Don't expect an answer though – except maybe an automated reply.

Good luck!

Split View within ONE Pages Document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.