Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad bent and screen popped out on its own

My iPad was left outside for no longer than 15 mins in around 14 degree temperatures. However the sun was on it. I came back to find it bent (a very short, sharp bend) and the screen had popped out both sides centrally, so that you can see right through to the other side underneath the screen. The iPad still works fine but obviously I need this fixed. I've seen many forums suggesting an out of warranty fix, but this is not my fault so surely I am covered under the UK Consumer Laws, so Apple have to repair this free of charge? I have taken it into the Apple store and booked an appointment but they did not seem convinced when I stated that it happened on its own. My first thought was that the battery expanded causing the screen to pop out and the iPad to bend so sharply. Has anyone had this issue and does anyone have any pointers for me in this situation? Thanks.

iPad Air 2, 12

Posted on Feb 19, 2019 8:24 AM

28 replies

Feb 20, 2019 4:50 AM in response to JamesWheeler04

It will still work, but this is a potential ticking time bomb/serious fire risk/hazard, now!

DO NOT USE THIS IPAD ANY LONGER!!!

This looks like the Lithium-ion battery pack has, in fact, expanded!

The battery has been compromised at this point and is faulty!

Bring this into your “local” Apple Store ASAP, if not sooner!

DO NOT USE THIS iPAD and don't screw around with this!

The battery being expanded is a danger now as there is a very real and potential risk of the battery catching fire due to potential break down of the battery, causing thermal runaway and fire!

STOP using this iPad!

Get this compromised iPad to Apple!

Mar 5, 2019 12:01 PM in response to JamesWheeler04

Sometimes the stores do not make the right call.

You may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

Send them tne photos you took and see what customer service right from Apple in California can do for you.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Best of Luck to You!

Feb 19, 2019 8:43 AM in response to JamesWheeler04

Apple has operating temps listed for their devices listed.

Is this 14 degrees F or C?

You may have exceeded those temperature limits and, maybe, voided any AppleCare warranties you may have had on the iPad, by bringing the iPad outside in below freezing temps for that 15 minute interval.

• Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: –4° to 113° F (–20° to 45° C)

Feb 19, 2019 10:10 AM in response to ShagCA

Yeah,

iPad's do not like direct sunlight on the glass.

My family’s property is large ( nearly 2 acres ) and partially exposed to direct sunlight all day long.

I would bring my iPads outside in the spring, during planting season at my family home, and any prolonged exposure to bright, direct sunlight on the glass surface of the iPad would spike the temps of the iPad and throw up a pop-up message about the iPad reaching operational temp limits within 10-15 minutes of bright sun exposure on the glass.

Couldn’t lay in in the cooler grass, either if the sun hitting the glass, too!

Wound up having to setup the iPad on a standing shelving unit inside of a small wooden gardening shed that my folks built and placed, in the shade, near their gardening areas.

My Dad built a raised up shed with both a ramp ( for getting out gardening equipment and small tillers and push grass mowers in/out )and nice little outdoor deck big enough for two outdoor chairs and a small table and umbrella inbetween.

That was the only way I could use my iPad outdoors whenever we needed it during gardening and planting season or doing anything outside that an iPad was needed and used.

iPads are not great to use outdoors.

Feb 20, 2019 6:26 AM in response to JamesWheeler04

Ouch. Your iPad is definitely toast- and to be quite honest, I think it highly unlikely that repair would ever be contemplated. Given your photographs, I can’t say that I’m surprised that Apple have already declined a waranty claim.

No joking around here; you should definitely - and immediately - stop using the iPad. As a precaution, assuming the battery to be physically compromised, you would well advised to not keep it within your home or near to any combustible materials. If the battery is damaged, it could start a fire. When these batteries break-down, it is often sudden and pyrotechnically dramatic.

Take a look at your home insurance. You may have accidental damage insurance that covers you - but, a claim may impact your renewal premium next time around.

If nothing else, learn from the mistake - and never, ever, leave anything electronic containing Lithium batteries in direct sunlight.

One further thought. As the iPad is likely beyond economic repair, you could consider selling the display panel and/or any undamaged internal components on eBay. If you find the iFixit “teardown” instructions, you may find that you can remove and sell many component parts - and this may create some useful funds towards a replacement iPad. Just be very, very, careful with that battery - and dispose of it properly!

Feb 20, 2019 8:18 AM in response to JamesWheeler04

Thanks Micheal. My first thought was this, however, the iPad still works perfectly; would this be the case if the battery expanded?

On the second thought, I have to agree with MichelPM. I apologize for doubting your post yesterday. It does look like bulging battery problem. Safety first... I know it still works but DO NOT use it! That battery can burst into flame or worse... it can explode at any time especially during charging.

Mar 5, 2019 4:26 AM in response to JamesWheeler04

Very sorry to learn that Apple are not “stepping up to the plate” - although, given the nature of the damage, this shoudn’t be a surprise.

As the available information suggests that you’ve suffered a major battery incident, leading to serious mechanical failure and damage to the device casing, you really should bite-the-bullet and accept that your current iPad is beyond repair - and responsibly recycle it.

That iPad is a hazard and shoildn’t be used. Any “reputable” repair outfit won’t go anywhere near it. Some parts might be salvagable - but the battery is dangerous.

If you don’t have AppleCare+ or other insurance cover, then the loss is (unfortunately) something that you’ll have to accept - and learn from.

Mar 5, 2019 5:45 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi. When I took it into Apple the woman at the ‘Genius Bar’ examined it and told me that the battery had not expanded and that it was not a safety concern (which was baffling to here because how else has the iPad bent). So, assuming that internally the iPad is fine, can the frame be bent back into shape? I’ve heard many people suggest that it is impossible as you would need to melt the alimunum, but it bent without this so surely it can go back into its original format?

iPad bent and screen popped out on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.