Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly can't use voice separation tool

I got it to work earlier today on a different project.

When I go to use it on a new project it doesn't work.

I input a new song through a working midi interface using a piano instrument.

When I select the dual voice separation tool on the score I get an error:

The voice separation tool only works for polyphonic staff with midi channel assignments.

I assigned staff style to piano 1/3 (I have tried other polyphonic staff styles also).

It doesn't work

Attempt to assign a new midi channel from auto to 1, 2, 3, 5, 9.

still doesn't work.

I've restarted my computer,

I've tried creating a new project.

I must be missing something.

Mac 10.14.2

logic 10.4.4

Please help

it was working today

I did not do any updates

It still works on the other song and I see no differences between the instruments in the two projects.

Thank you

iMac 27", 10.14

Posted on Feb 19, 2019 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2019 8:44 AM

Your last paragraph held the secret. I checked my keyboard (Roland Gaia) and found the mono button had been hit unexpectedly.

I undid mono and recorded it again. I knew it was something simple, but the fix was not in inspector.

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 19, 2019 8:33 PM in response to Push Hardly

Did you record the piece that works properly?

Did you assign the MIDI channel in the Inspector?

If all the voices are on a single MIDI channel I don't see how this can work.

From the manual:

In cases where the division between voices needs to be more flexible, you can separate voices by assigning each voice to a different MIDI channel. This allows voices to cross while still being displayed independently. Notes not assigned to any MIDI channel are not displayed, allowing you to “hide” notes from display (such as improvised parts or trill notes, for example). This does not affect playback, but only the display of notes in the score (the playback channel is determined by the setting in the Track inspector).

If you record polyphonic voices separately in real time, you can set your keyboard or MIDI controller to the appropriate MIDI channel for each voice when you record, saving you from having to edit the channels afterward.

Feb 20, 2019 8:09 AM in response to Pancenter

Hi

Did you assign the MIDI channel in the Inspector? If all the voices are on a single MIDI channel I don't see how this can work.

This is exactly how the voice separation tool works...

record some MIDI say on Channel 1

Assign the Piano 1/3 style ( all notes appear on the right hand staff MIDI Ch 1)

Use the Separation tool to draw the l/r split and MIDI channels are altered to suit automatically.

To the OP

If you import the offending regions into a new project do they work as they should?

CCT

Feb 20, 2019 11:32 AM in response to Push Hardly

It is NOT Solved.

Actually, it's not fixed. I recorded and edited that piece, using the voice separation tool (successfully, yes I know how to use it).

I hit save and created a new project and recorded another piano line and reach for the voice separation tool again, selecting the correct settings in inspector first, and now it does not work. Why does it work sometimes? The mono thing was a fluke as that is no longer part of the equation.

Sad is me.

Feb 21, 2019 10:55 AM in response to Pancenter

Thank you Pancenter

Setting style first does seem to help, but my question is that I often adjust my songs only after I record them and realize I want sheet music. I feel I have been able to use the voice separation tool after recording a number of times (without setting the staff style), so I'm not sure why the sudden change for me

None-the-less. I will be sure that I always select piano 1/3 *before* I record, just in case, and i have a way to move forward.

It would be helpful if I could make that the default setting.

Thank you for following this thread with me, and I hope we are really done with it now.

Best wishes.

Feb 21, 2019 12:25 PM in response to Push Hardly

Hi

When I create a new track and choose an instrument from the track creation bar it seems to mess up Voice Separation. However, if I select an instrument that is a blank - Empty Channel Strip - them Voice Separation works as it should.

I'm not seeing this behaviour here:

Select default Instrument channel ( EP), record some notes ( MIDI CH 1), select Piano 1/3 then assign voices. Works as it should.

CCT

Suddenly can't use voice separation tool

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.