Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my iMovie Projects? Why did they disappear? (Feb 2019)

I have been using iMovie for a couple years and I had over 20 projects that are now GONE. Where did they go? Why did they disappear? That's SO MANY HOURS of work... I really hope my projects can be found. Please help!

I've tried the suggestion to "delete preferences" which did not work.

I can't find any folder with "containers," "caches," or iMovie backups of any sort...

What can I do?

Thank you.

Jay

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 3:49 PM

Assuming that you are using iMovie 10, it looks like your iMovie library may have been corrupted. This is the correct file path to the iMovie Backups folder:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

You can also recover your library from your Time Machine backup if you have one.

One more thing. Be sure that you are looking in the correct library.

Other than the above I can't think of anything else at the moment.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2019 3:49 PM in response to abzj123

Assuming that you are using iMovie 10, it looks like your iMovie library may have been corrupted. This is the correct file path to the iMovie Backups folder:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

You can also recover your library from your Time Machine backup if you have one.

One more thing. Be sure that you are looking in the correct library.

Other than the above I can't think of anything else at the moment.

-- Rich

Mar 1, 2019 7:48 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you... I finally found the "library" folder - it didn't show up until I searched for "library" in "go to folder."

I followed the path and found my backed up projects, but with no media files in them.

All of the icons are question marks. How can I see these projects again in the same way I used to? Thank you!

Mar 1, 2019 8:11 AM in response to abzj123

It looks like your iMovie library has been corrupted. Since the backups library showed only question marks for your projects, the media for the projects may be gone or the link to the media may be broken. I think that we have gone as far as we can with this on an internet forum. I suggest that you make an appointment with the Genius bar at an Apple store near you, where they have testing equipment and can do a hands-on examination of your computer.

Best of luck with this.

-- Rich

Where are my iMovie Projects? Why did they disappear? (Feb 2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.