Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New macbook pro retina Trackpad is too big and causes lots of inadvertent typing mistakes: A workaround

I don't really have a workaround. I have floating in my head two solutions and no time to experiment just yet:

• I found this app not too long ago to limit the active surface area of the new gigantic trackpad but haven't tried it out yet. The principle is to set x,y coordinates of the boundaries of active tap on the gargantuan new trackpad.
  • I have heard talk of overlaying a physical barrier like a thin, vinyl or plastic film mask (and discussion of whether it needed aluminum foil in it or not to further shield the sensors from detecting an errant tap/gesture) but haven't seen any off the shelf product or explicit DIY with success.

Any other ideas?

Use case:

As a user who lives and dies by keyboard shortcuts and types a lot, I find that the gigantic new trackpad is simply ridiculously too large and picks up stray, unintended taps and gestures like Alexa waking on the wrong watchword. My cursor flies up to the middle of the screen either in the middle of the text I was editing or somewhere completely different, often highlighting and taking a chunk of text with it. It makes the usually seamless and dreamy hardware experience of the traditional "new" macbook something more buggy and cumbersome. With a suitable workaround like hardware physical barrier like an unobtrusive, transparent trackpad mask exposing only a more modest, limited active Trackpad area with generous margins/gutters for resting the heals of my hands, or with a software workaround that also limits the surface area of the huge new trackpad, I could again crank up to 11 on my ability to use the now hampered macbook pro.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 12:08 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 26, 2019 12:39 PM in response to bronius

Use Case 2:

As a user of the new macbook pro with seemingly needlessly large trackpad, I am bopping along to the beat in my Apple iPods, tap-tapping my thumbs to the music as I pause between lines of text, when lo, my thumb hits an active area of the newly enlarged trackpad and sends my cursor flying across the screen to some other window, some other editor, some other button in the world who knows where.

New macbook pro retina Trackpad is too big and causes lots of inadvertent typing mistakes: A workaround

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.