Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music ‘The request timed out’

My Apple Music appears to be working well and functions perfectly when I am connected to wifi, but when I try to play a song using cellular data it does not play and I’m left with the message saying ‘the request timed out’. How can I fix this? I’m running low on phone storage and many of my songs are not downloaded, so it it very frustrating not being able to listen to music when I’m out. I’ve checked that my data is enabled for Apple Music, and hard reset my phone but nothing seems to work.

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 8:35 AM

My Apple Music is currently only working over Wifi. Just upgraded from a 6s. I have exhausted all troubleshooting options. Streamed everything in my library. Upgraded...nothing. Help.

iphone XR - Bell Network

16 replies

Mar 13, 2019 9:32 AM in response to quin2k

Same for me. I am using iphone 7, iOS 12.1.2 - i think the issue started when I upgraded to this iOS from 11.xx. I called Bell and they thought it was an Apple issue. Based on all the cellular issues Apple is having with iOS 12.1.x I tend to think it is an Apple issue. Extremely frustrating.

Anyone else getting this on a different cellular network than Bell?

Mar 13, 2019 9:36 AM in response to quin2k

I was able to Resolve my issue by scrolling down in settings andSigning Out of "iTunes & App Stores"

(NOT My main Apple ID, iTunes & App Store at the top, which I had done previously)

When I signed back in, many of my Apple Music downloads were gone, but the App now allows me to DL over Cellular Data.

Hope this Helps

iPhone XR on Bell

Mar 13, 2019 2:45 PM in response to cadcrude

Tried all troubleshooting (signing out of iCloud - Signing out of iTunes & App Store), still no change to issue. Unable to stream or download over cellular. Wifi is good. Unable to PING apple music. Soundcloud, YouTube an all other streaming works perfectly.

Is this happening to any other networks? Or isolated to a port which is not open in the phones software?

iPhone XR - OS12.1.4 on Bell Network.

Mar 13, 2019 4:59 PM in response to cadcrude

No, that did not work for me. It ended up screwing up my settings and my playlists disappeared. After investigating i found that when i signed back in it turned off my icloud music library in my music settings. I turned it back on and then it kept going off by itself. After some persistence i finally got it to stay on and my playlists then reloaded.

It is ridiculous -i can search and find songs and albums in Apple Music when on cellular but it will not download or stream unless on WiFi. Extremely frustrating. It worked just fine not so long ago...

Mar 14, 2019 12:41 PM in response to magellan44

Having the same issue. I am with Bell and it's lasted about 3 weeks non-stop. Both streaming and downloading songs absolutely doesn't work over LTE. Works fine with Wi-Fi. Also noticed that apps won't download through LTE either, only Wi-Fi... so issue not limited to Apple Music.

Don't suggest any troubleshooting method because I can guarantee you I've tried it already lol. No help from either Apple or Bell when I've reached out to support. The fact that a subscription based platfrom has been essentially down for almost a month is criminal - I should get this month's subscription reimbursed.

Figure it out!

Mar 17, 2019 4:21 PM in response to J9ner

Try to sign out of your iTunes & App Store ID. Also, I was overloading my service by running SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Music at the same time. Went into Airplane mode while all were open and running. Turned survice after 5 seconds. Able to stream Apple Music.

To to be honest, it was a fluke. Shouldn’t have worked but that was last known configuration before it worked.

Apple Music ‘The request timed out’

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.