Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" 5K high temp

Hello.

I'm getting a little worried that my new iMac is reaching high temps with nothing much happening.

With just InDesign and Acrobat Reader open, one of the cpu's was over 90˚. It started showing up the instant I bought it.. AHH. So I installed TG Pro to monitor the system, any rendering and all 4 cpu's at 100˚.

I know they can take 100˚ but if it's up in the 80/90's nearly all the time then it I don't think it will last long.

Can someone, technical, tell me what to do. Accept it or....

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 13, 2019 3:27 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Mar 14, 2019 7:32 AM in response to chrispl0

Hi there, chrispl0.

I see that you're concerned about the temperature level of the CPUs in your new iMac. I'm happy to help.

See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity -- I don't believe that the application you're using is reporting the correct temperature as 92 degrees Celsius would be 197.6 degrees Fahrenheit. This article provides good information and steps you can take when you believe there's an issue with the CPU.

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac -- You can also use Activity Monitor to check the overall Energy usage as well. 

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Mar 14, 2019 8:38 AM in response to chrispl0

Can someone, tell me what to do. Accept it or...

use a sensor based algorithm like MacFanControl, to gradually increase the fan speed before the temp's get so high.

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

FWIW, some folks here frown on using a fan control. However IMHO, keeping the GPU and PECI temp's in check, far out ways any notions of premature fan ware.

Mar 14, 2019 9:15 AM in response to chrispl0

Yes I see the high temps. Monitoring them is one thing, Controlling them is a totally different thing.

What is your fan speed when the PECI is in the 50 to 60C range?

What is your fan speed when the PECI is in the 70 to 80C range?

What I'm suggesting, uses the fan control algorithm to start increasing the fan speed at a known value (say 60C), then continue increasing the fan speed until a suitable balance of fan speed and temperature control (say only 80C) is reached.

Mar 14, 2019 1:53 PM in response to chrispl0

Hi, chrispl0 !

There are a couple of things you can do to make sure your Mac is cooling itself in proper fashion. First, take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and have the Cooling System diagnostic performed. It should take 20-30 minutes for the diagnostic. This is the only official way to know if your iMac is - pardon the pun - hot or not.

Second, make sure all the ventilation slots on the iMac are free of lint, dust and debris. There are vents on the back of the iMac as well as along the bottom of the display. A soft microfiber cloth or a static-free brush should help loosen and remove any blockages. Compressed air is not recommended as one does not want to drive any lint, dust or debris into the iMac.

Good luck !

Mar 14, 2019 2:02 PM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

Hi thanks for taking an interest, it’s a new IMac mate, all I’m asking is it normal to run at these temps. I don’t have to take it back, they will pick it up and I don’t think ‘lint in the back’ is relevant! If you don’t have a similar one you won’t know.

Apple always suggests one checks the boards first to see what the ground is. That’s all I was doing.

Many Thanks anyway.

Regards

chris

iMac 27" 5K high temp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.