Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Able to Connect on FaceTime Between Apple Decices on Apple ID Family Sharing

I just gave my 6 year old son my iPhone 6S+ after upgrading to an iPhone 7. His iPhone doesn’t have a SIM card, the idea is for him to be able to use it on WiFi to FaceTime his Mom when he is with me and vice versa. The problem is when he calls me or I call him on or from my iPhone, after accepting the incoming call about 80% of the time the call doesn’t ultimately connect and instead just times out. What is strange is I can almost always receive his calls on my iPad, which is logged in under the same Apple ID as my iPhone,, but the same problem happens if I try to call him from that same iPad, it just doesn’t connect.

One last thing, he can FaceTime everyone else in the family who I put as contacts in his phone just fine. I’m wondering if the issue is that I set his phone up with an Apple ID under my own ID (it’s an iCloud email address using family sharing). But if so why would it work OK when he calls my iPad?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Posted on Mar 18, 2019 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 3:05 PM

SOLVED. So looking at my own iPhone's blocked calls I realized that at some point I had blocked my own phone number. I unblocked myself and still could not call my son. Then when I looked at my son's iPhone the following day I realized my blocked phone numbers were in his phone as well. Once I removed the block it began working normally. Thank you for your help.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2019 3:05 PM in response to matthewp1974

SOLVED. So looking at my own iPhone's blocked calls I realized that at some point I had blocked my own phone number. I unblocked myself and still could not call my son. Then when I looked at my son's iPhone the following day I realized my blocked phone numbers were in his phone as well. Once I removed the block it began working normally. Thank you for your help.

Mar 18, 2019 6:03 PM in response to matthewp1974

After reading the initial post, I wasn't sure you had done that, so I was just trying to get some clarification. Have you tried resetting both devices? Tried another WiFi?

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device

Mar 18, 2019 5:56 PM in response to Eric Root

So I think I did already, but correct me if I'm wrong. I initially sought to create his own ID but in the process of doing so I received a message that he was too young (need to be 13). So after loooking for advice on here I read that a solution would be to set him up with a Family Sharing ID which is what I did. It's a different ID than mine so I assumed that meant he "had his own". Not sure if that's what you were suggesting though.

Not Able to Connect on FaceTime Between Apple Decices on Apple ID Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.