Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login failed

Suddenly, there is a "login failed" message on the top right of my mail (I have a gmail account.) I am online. I keyed in the correct password. How do I fix this?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 9:28 AM

50 replies

Mar 24, 2019 12:28 PM in response to burr208

It may not help, but try running/posting the Etrecheck report. Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information    10.10 and later

Apr 19, 2019 5:12 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric: I received a lengthy reply from AOL Support which essentially recommends deleting the account and adding it back, which I have done. They also suggest mannually setting up the account using Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Server Settings. I cannot find my Server Settings. They do not appear where Apple Support articles and internet searches suggest. Here's what mine look like:

I"m also asked for information I can find, i.e. ports, servers, etc. There is some discussion online that server options may be different based on the type of email account you're using, i.e. IMAP, POP, iCloud, Microsoft Exchange. I believe the email from AOL Support is too large to copy and paste here.

So, a few questions:

1. How should my mail accounts and preferences be configured so AOL is consistent and accessible across 2 MBP's and 2 iPhones?
  2. Are my problems related to having both an AOL IMAP and an iCloud AOL IMAP account (not enabled but "status: online".)

Here are my Internet Accounts:

This is getting complicated and detailed. Would you be willing to communicate directly by email so I can share information privately? Thanks Eric, Rod

Apr 18, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the uninstaller Eric . . . done.

1. Will this address the failed login problem or is there something else I an do?
  2. Do I need to delete the Pastebin files I created?
  3. The first Etrecheck I posted included identification of major and minor problems. These did not appear in the second run. Do I need to fix any of these other major or minor issues, specifically the System Integrity Protection disabled?

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

System Integrity Protection disabled - System Integrity Protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

More than one antivirus app - This machine has multiple antivirus apps installed.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.

High battery cycle count - Your battery may be losing capacity.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. They appear to be legitimate but should be reviewed.

32-bit Apps - This machine has 32-bits apps will not work after macOS 10.14 “Mojave”.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Thanks Eric!

Apr 18, 2019 10:54 AM in response to Rod Miller

You are welcome.

1. I'm not sure it will fix the login problem or not. It is/was a troubleshooting step. I have AOL mail and see similar errors occasionally.
  2. PasteBin should take care of itself.
  3. I would enable System Integrity Protection. It makes your computer safer.

http://osxdaily.com/2018/08/09/how-enable-sip-system-integrity-protection-mac/

You might want to consider replacing your battery soon. I have purchased RAM several times, a MacBook Pro battery, and 2 hard drives from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the battery.

Other World Computing  

Apr 15, 2019 9:02 AM in response to burr208

The "Login Failed" error occurs only on my MacBook Pro. I backed up the AOL mail account, deleted it from my Internet Accounts, rebooted and added AOL back to my accounts, re-entering the password. It took a while to rebuild the mailboxes but it is fully functional on all devices. Unfortnately, the error continues - but only on my MackBook Pro, not my iMac, not my partner's MBP, not on our iPhones. The failed login self-corrects after a few minutes or if I click on the "Login Failed" error message. This problem occured after I upgraded to Mojave, but not right away, only within the last couple of weeks. It's just annoying, but tolerable, but why is it happening at all? Good question . . . thanks guys! Rod

Apr 18, 2019 8:26 AM in response to Rod Miller

A new twist to the failed log in error. I mentioned it self-corrects within a short period of time but it now appears to time out in the process.

On the Mail sidebar, the squiggly lines appear next to the "In" box, my email address in the Trash mailbox and my email address that is the header of my mailboxes stored on the AOL server. Again, my other MBP, iMac and two iPhones have no issues, must my MBP - interesting. I sent an email inquiry to AOL Support but doubt I'll get a response. They have a pay-for-support service for members like me who use the free AOL service. Any suggestions would be appreciated - it's an annoyance but Mail still works. Thanks! Rod

Apr 19, 2019 7:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric . . . I have tried this suggestion to edit the server list:

I get nothing even though I have select the AOL account before clicking Server Settings. I have exhaused all Mail and System Preference options to locate server/port information and can find none. Where are they? I could access all of this before Mojave. Hmmm . . .

Is there an issue with the iCloud keychain or iCloud drive?

I asked about communicating directly and more privately . . . is Dropbox an option? eMail?

Apr 23, 2019 10:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric: could you help me with this? Twice now the AOL Support insists on the following before it can problem solve the "Failed Login" issue with Mac Mail (which is getting worse and now includes an "Account Error" message):

In order to isolate if this is an issue with the third party email application or with AOL account, we need to see the ports and the servers you've used. If you cannot see the ports or servers, we advise you contact Apple customer service to get help with your issue.

I have searched, Googled and looked at Support Communities and Articles. I cannot find how to access the ports or servers for my AOL account. I have viewed them before I upgraded to Mojave. I suspect Mojave Mail automatically sets up the AOL internet account so it may no longer show you the settings. I can enter new settings when I use "Edit SMTP Server List" but can not see any of the existing information:

Thanks you Eric!

Apr 29, 2019 1:50 PM in response to Eric Root

(I posted this reply earlier but doesn't appear here.) That's the problem I tried explaining ERic. There is no information on the page (above screen clipping): Mail Preferences>Accounts>Server Settings>Edit SMPT Server List:

Also, AOL Support sent this today:

We specialize in supporting AOL Mail and related products, since you use the correct ports, tried to reconfigure the app, checked if you use 2 step verification and you have checked for the option "allow apps that use less secure sign in" , this means we cannot provide support related to your issue. We suggest contacting Apple customer support to get help with your concern.

So, the finger is pointing to Apple. I may have to pay them to find out what's going on. Frustrating. I'll wait for your reply Eric before calling Apple just in case you have some other idea what's going on. Thanks again! Rod

Apr 10, 2019 2:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric (Rod from an old post re: Message Activation error - thanks for that help). I know this mail posting is old but I am encountering the same problem with a Failed Login message, top right of mail screen. Sometimes it logins in when I click on the message itself. Sometimes it logs in when I quite and restart mail, but it persists daily. I wanted to resent my password on my MBP just in case, but I cannot find anywhere in Mail preferences or Accounts in Mojave to reenter it. Did it go away with Mojave? Does it appear only when Mail prompts you and asks for it? I ran EtreCheck but it is too large to paste. I've never used Pasetbin so would need instructions. Thanks Eric, Rod

Apr 10, 2019 3:15 PM in response to Rod Miller

Hi Eric, I went to the Genius Bar twice and seem to have the problem fixed. First, to temporarily fix the login failed issue, you click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of the computer, go to System Preferences/Internet Accounts. Then click on Google (if you have a Google email). That will open a browser and windows for you to re-sign in to your email. But, like you, after a few hours, Mail would go back to the squiggling lines and "login failed." Today, the guy at the Genius Bar deleted my two gmail emails (I first dragged everything in my inboxes to a folder), then re-created the two emails, and I entered my password for each one. This seems to have worked.

Hope this helps. Burr

Login failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.