Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding RAM to a Mac Mini (Late 2014)

I realize now that my DDR3 1600 MHz 4GB(2) sticks came soldered on to the logic board.

Is it common to have them removed and replaced, and if so what kind of RAM could go there?

Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 3:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 4:40 AM

For the Mac mini 2014 the memory is as you state soldered to the logic board, as such it is generally regarded as impossible to upgrade the memory. This leaves the only option as being to sell it and buy a better model.

In theory one could unsolder the existing chips and solder new bigger capacity ones, this indeed did use to be commonly done in the olden days. ;) I remember some enterprising people doing this to upgrade the original Macintosh 128KB to a 'Fat Mac' with 512KB, I even had this done to my own one back in 1985.

However newer logic boards, chips and manufacturing techniques mean that these days an ordinary soldering iron is totally useless for this purpose and you need tools equivalent to those used originally to build the logic boards, as such it is not possible unless you are a major manufacturer and they have no interest in doing this. Any DIY attempt would merely destroy either the logic board or chips or both.

The earlier Mac mini models i.e. 2012 and earlier or the newer 2018 model all have socketed memory and can be upgraded it is only the 2014 model that does not.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2019 4:40 AM in response to DaufuskieRob

For the Mac mini 2014 the memory is as you state soldered to the logic board, as such it is generally regarded as impossible to upgrade the memory. This leaves the only option as being to sell it and buy a better model.

In theory one could unsolder the existing chips and solder new bigger capacity ones, this indeed did use to be commonly done in the olden days. ;) I remember some enterprising people doing this to upgrade the original Macintosh 128KB to a 'Fat Mac' with 512KB, I even had this done to my own one back in 1985.

However newer logic boards, chips and manufacturing techniques mean that these days an ordinary soldering iron is totally useless for this purpose and you need tools equivalent to those used originally to build the logic boards, as such it is not possible unless you are a major manufacturer and they have no interest in doing this. Any DIY attempt would merely destroy either the logic board or chips or both.

The earlier Mac mini models i.e. 2012 and earlier or the newer 2018 model all have socketed memory and can be upgraded it is only the 2014 model that does not.

Adding RAM to a Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.