Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.3.5 to iOS 12 update on iPad Mini 2

I have an iPad mini 2 wifi + cellular with iOS 9.3.5. On the Settings, it says that iOS 12 is available on my device. However, there is no option to download and install it using the iPad (Grayed out) and it only says there to update it using iTunes which I did! After downloading the 2.72 GB update, it will give me an error code 3259. I have contacted Apple Support 10 times, which a senior apple adviser supporting my case but still it won't update. I just need it updated because some apps aren't available which I really need. :( can someone help me here?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 12:59 AM

11 replies

Mar 29, 2019 1:18 AM in response to andreafromadelaide

Yes, we actually did it over the phone- used screen sharing with 4 support for like 10 times already (no joke!) but still it hasn't got me anywhere. :( the senior adviser (I believe) which handles my case ID told me that it might be my desktop (internal crash or something) but I doubt because I have a new and updated computer. I want to go to other options if there's any. :(

I have read a lot of post online that they're having the same issue with their iOS 9.3.5 / iPad Mini as well. I wonder if Apple has already taken actions on it.

Mar 29, 2019 5:50 AM in response to pjls_09

Are you sure you have an iPad Mini 2 and not a 1st gen iPad Mini?

The 1st gen iPad Mini cannot be upgraded beyond iOS 9.3.5.

IF you had an iPad Mini 2, you would have gotten Software Update notifications over the years for iOS 10, iOS 11 and iOS 12.

In Settings app, General, About, please post your iPad Mini’s model number so we can all verify what model and generation your iPad Mini is.

I suspect it is a 1st gen iPad Mini.

Mar 29, 2019 9:31 AM in response to MichelPM

It is an iPad mini 2 wifi + cellular, the apple support confirmed to me the model of the iPad mini and like I said, the update available as per what is showing on the software update tab on settings. It just won't complete the update (using iTunes since there is no option on iPad. Its grayed out) with an error code 3259.

iOS 9.3.5 to iOS 12 update on iPad Mini 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.