Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Won’t Boot up

I have reset the SMC several times and I can’t get the MacBook Pro to boot up. It is plugged in (light is amber on the MagSafe) which is odd because is should have a fully charged battery. Any way the machine is unresponsive to the power key and it sounds like the fan is making a faint pulsing sound. Any ideas out there?

BTW.....I have held down the power key and connected the MagSafe cord and the machine will attempt to boot up however the fan runs at full speed and it won’t fully boot up and just goes into an endless cycle of start up attempts and never gets through the complete startup. The only way to stop this endless cycle of start up attempts is to just disconnect the MagSafe and the machine goes off completely with no signs of life.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 1:00 PM

Ok....so it appears that I have resolved this issue, however I’m not exactly sure how.

After giving up for the evening I left the laptop plugged in overnight and in the AM the MagSafe light had turned green indicating a full charge.

The machine responded to the power button and I was able to boot up in ‘Apple Hardware Test’ mode. The test(s) revealed no issues. So this would leave me to the conclusion that the issue was software related.

Restarting the machine from ‘Apple Hardware Test’ mode worked and the machine immediately went into an automatic software update and so far appears to be operating normally.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2019 1:00 PM in response to HWTech

Ok....so it appears that I have resolved this issue, however I’m not exactly sure how.

After giving up for the evening I left the laptop plugged in overnight and in the AM the MagSafe light had turned green indicating a full charge.

The machine responded to the power button and I was able to boot up in ‘Apple Hardware Test’ mode. The test(s) revealed no issues. So this would leave me to the conclusion that the issue was software related.

Restarting the machine from ‘Apple Hardware Test’ mode worked and the machine immediately went into an automatic software update and so far appears to be operating normally.

Mar 29, 2019 9:58 PM in response to violintuck

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least 3 chimes or about a minute).

See if you can boot into Internet Recovery Mode by holding Command + Option + R just after the startup chime. If you can boot into Internet Recovery Mode, then you have a problem with the drive which could be hardware or software or a possible bad drive cable. Try running Disk Utility's First Aid while in Internet Recovery.

You can also try a Safe Boot. Booting using Verbose Mode, will display the startup log as it boots and may reveal something.

MacBook Pro Won’t Boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.