Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone: emails sorted into icloud folders are completely blank

i have icloud configured so that email messages from specific senders are sorted into folders. when i receive an email from those senders, it shows in the list of messages in that folder. however, when i try to open that message in the mail app on my iphone, i get a blank, white screen. no text. going back to the message list in the folder shows the message as unread.

if i try forwarding or replying to the message, the typical forward/reply screen appears and i can see the text of the email to which i am replying (but i cannot click any links in the message). if i try to move the message to my inbox, the mail app crashes.

this behavior is 100% repeatable, regardless of whether i reboot the iphone, close and reopen the mail app, or do anything else. messages that are not sorted into folders behave normally.

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2019 9:34 AM

i solved it. it turns out that the mail app on the iphone has a problem with folder names containing certain special characters - in my case, "~" (tilde). i named the folders this way to keep these special folders together, and not sorted alphabetically among the other standard mail folders. but i found i can achieve the desired result by changing the tilde to a period: "~ Folder" is now ".Folder" and everything works as it should.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2019 9:34 AM in response to raina_b22

i solved it. it turns out that the mail app on the iphone has a problem with folder names containing certain special characters - in my case, "~" (tilde). i named the folders this way to keep these special folders together, and not sorted alphabetically among the other standard mail folders. but i found i can achieve the desired result by changing the tilde to a period: "~ Folder" is now ".Folder" and everything works as it should.

Apr 2, 2019 8:29 AM in response to vasska

Hello vasska,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're running into some issues with folders in your iCloud mail, and I'll be happy to see how I can assist.

Do you use any other devices, like an iPad or a computer, with your iCloud mail? If so, does the same behavior persist on the other device?

Have you tried to Use iCloud.com from a web browser on a computer? If not, try that and then sign in and click Mail; do the messages appear in the correct folders there? If so, can you open them successfully?

To look at another possibility, are you running iOS 12.2 under Settings > General > About? If not, updating is a great step to take: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

iphone: emails sorted into icloud folders are completely blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.