Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad Mini 5 animation stutter - A12 problems?

I just purchased a new iPad Mini 5 and have been generally happy with the device but have noticed a jarring stutter in certain animations. The main problem is in slide over. When I place an app in slide over and move it on and off the screen, there is a very noticeable stutter, which is completely absent in the previous iPad Mini 4. Scrolling seems fine on the device, but another place where I see the stutter is in the page turn animation in the Kindle app. These are completely reproducible and are absent from the previous iPad Mini.

I am somewhat disheartened that this problem is in a device with a much more advanced CPU/GPU than the previous device whose processor is 4 generations behind it but lacks these stutters. Around last December, I had purchased an iPhone XS Max which also had annoying animation stutter, but mainly in scrolling (however, it also shared the Kindle page animation stutter of the new Mini). I returned the phone, whose user interface was much less smooth than my old 7+. (I will not return the new Mini since I need 2 Minis for my airplane and the former model is only slightly less expensive).

This problem seems to be displayed in all A12 based devices. There are several forums which talk about the stuttering in A12 based iPhones, including an Apple forum thread which was more than 40 pages long and was recently deleted by Apple. There is also a 23 page thread on MacRumors.

I hope this problem is solved. Apple is certainly capable of handling these problems. When I upgraded my Mini 4 to iOS 12, I found the scrolling to be horrible with lots of jitters which were almost completely eliminated in iOS 12.2. I am amazed at the minutiae which are discussed ad nauseam on the Apple blogs and podcasts (such as the bending iPad or the advantages of a laminated screen). However, this animation problem which stands out like a sore thumb to me is ignored by the bloggers (with the exception of an article on 9 to 5 Mac, I think).

iPad mini Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 2, 2019 1:55 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

New iPad Mini 5 animation stutter - A12 problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.