Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S - GPS + Cellular Doesn't work together

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8298323

Referencing the above thread... I have this same issue. I have tried all the recommended solutions including new SIM card from Verizon, replacement phone from Verizon, Resets, etc.

The odd thing that I have noticed is that this issue appears to be localized to my "home" area of central Indiana (Indianapolis Metro). My phone works flawlessly with navigation apps and other GPS enabled apps when outside of central Indiana. This to me points to a Verizon network issue, but I wanted to see what the opinion of this community was. Is there some software bug that could be causing only certain devices to have connection issues with GPS and LTE use at the same time, but only in a specific geographic area?

Any help is appreciated.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 11:30 AM

To be honest, since it appears to only fail in a specific area, I would try to work with Verizon and/or Apple to check this out. If you go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options, what do you have turned on/off?

Since it appears to only happen when you are around home, I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with your connection to the Verizon network. They should be able to diagnose the issue, or at least check some of their towers in the area this occurs to see what may be causing it.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2019 11:30 AM in response to sven_one

To be honest, since it appears to only fail in a specific area, I would try to work with Verizon and/or Apple to check this out. If you go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options, what do you have turned on/off?

Since it appears to only happen when you are around home, I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with your connection to the Verizon network. They should be able to diagnose the issue, or at least check some of their towers in the area this occurs to see what may be causing it.

Apr 4, 2019 10:11 AM in response to sven_one

Do you have a problem with the GPS locating you, or is it that the maps will no longer refresh? If there is an issue with your device using LTE in that location, it could explain the inability to use data, however if that is not the problem, it would seem that the device is having a more difficult time locating with the advantage of wi-fi. Do you actually see "No Service" like the thread you referenced, or do you see a cellular connection in the status bar? Have you tried going to an Apple Store in the Indy area to have them look at the issue?

Apr 4, 2019 11:16 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

This issue doesn't happen when I'm connected to WiFi. When this issue happens I lose LTE, 3G, etc. and my phone shows "No Service". I can be sitting still with strong LTE, open Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, etc. and watch the bars fade away to the point of "No Service". I can force close the offending app and typically within a minute or two, a strong LTE signal returns. When this issue happens, my phone doesn't know where it is on the map.

I have been driving along for hours with Google Maps following along and all of a sudden, poof, no service as I get close to central Indiana. My wife, also on Verizon, had no connection issues at the same exact moment. I have had the connection drop at the same place on multiple trips. Also, going the opposite direction (away from Indy) I know that when I get to that location my GPS and LTE will miraculously start functioning properly again. It's like there's an imaginary line that once I cross it the GPS and LTE don't play nice with each other.

Indianapolis is one of the first few cities Verizon is using to roll out 5G, so perhaps that is causing some interference, but I would think that would be a widespread problem and not just affecting me.

I haven't gone to an Apple Store. I've been reading every thread I can find regarding this issue and similar issues (going back several years), and it seems the common response is to either reset the device (done that), replace the device (done that), or get a new device (don't care to throw money at the problem).

In all the threads I've read, I've never seen anybody mention whether the problem happened outside of their "home" area. That seems like a new variable, so I wanted to throw it out and see if that adds to the discussion.

iPhone 6S - GPS + Cellular Doesn't work together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.