Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and trackpad don't work

The keyboard and trackpad from my MacBook Pro stopped working a while ago. AppleSupport couldn't help me fix it. It's really frustrating to always bring my extra keyboard and magic mouse, everywhere I go. (imagine working in an airplane..)

Also I looked it up on the internet and have seen a lot of people with the same problem.

Can someone help me fix this problem?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 12:35 AM

This is what I found about the same problem, just solving it with a new cable:

I had this problem twice. The problem for me was that the thin cable that runs from the trackpad control board over the battery to the connector on the mainboard. The 2015 model MacBook Pro cable is (arguably) slightly longer than it needs to be to get over the battery, and as a consequence the cable gets crimped up at both ends and over time fails. When it fails (usually intermittently at first and then permanently) both keyboard and trackpad are disabled as input devices and you hit the problems you are describing. The fix is easy - google "MacBook Pro 2015 trackpad cable" and buy a replacement - they cost about $10-15 on Amazon - whip the back off your laptop and swap the cable and it should all work perfectly again. You'll need the right combination of screwdrivers to open the back and take off the cable cover above the connection to the main board, and remember to disconnect the battery whilst you do the repair to minimise the chances of frying things. If you need more help, follow the first part of the ifixit guide to replacing your trackpad. But you dont need to replace the trackpad - just the cheap cable connector (as I learnt second time around - the first time this happened I wasted money on a new trackpad as well - its not necessary.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2019 12:35 AM in response to brycesteiner

This is what I found about the same problem, just solving it with a new cable:

I had this problem twice. The problem for me was that the thin cable that runs from the trackpad control board over the battery to the connector on the mainboard. The 2015 model MacBook Pro cable is (arguably) slightly longer than it needs to be to get over the battery, and as a consequence the cable gets crimped up at both ends and over time fails. When it fails (usually intermittently at first and then permanently) both keyboard and trackpad are disabled as input devices and you hit the problems you are describing. The fix is easy - google "MacBook Pro 2015 trackpad cable" and buy a replacement - they cost about $10-15 on Amazon - whip the back off your laptop and swap the cable and it should all work perfectly again. You'll need the right combination of screwdrivers to open the back and take off the cable cover above the connection to the main board, and remember to disconnect the battery whilst you do the repair to minimise the chances of frying things. If you need more help, follow the first part of the ifixit guide to replacing your trackpad. But you dont need to replace the trackpad - just the cheap cable connector (as I learnt second time around - the first time this happened I wasted money on a new trackpad as well - its not necessary.

Keyboard and trackpad don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.