Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Stops Shuffling/Doesn’t Shuffle

When I play music from my phone (iPhone 7 running 12.2), I typically want to shuffle music from a playlist. I know there is the shuffle button at the top page of the playlist, as well as at the bottom of the page for the currently playing song. When I press either shuffle button, one of two things usually happen:

1. A random song will play, and the queue will show my shuffled playlist. After about one song plays OR if I press “Next Song”, the playlist will un-shuffle and the music queue will revert to playing songs in the order they were put into the playlist.
  2. It won’t work at all. The shuffle button will turn pink for a split-second and the queue right under will shuffle for a split second, then the shuffle button goes back to gray and the queue unshuffles.

Any feedback helps, shuffling music in large playlists I create is a pretty big factor of what I use in music streaming.

Thanks!

Chris

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 6, 2019 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 1:41 PM

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that your music is not shuffling as expected and you’d like to get this issue resolved. I’d be happy to help.

To understand your situation a bit more, answering the following questions will help me better understand, how I can properly guide you in the right direction.

1. Are you experiencing this behavior with music content as a subscriber to Apple Music or music content that was purchased in the iTunes Store?

2. Have you tried restarting your iPhone to see if that helps?

3. Is this behavior occurring with a specific music album or a created music playlist?

Hope to hear from you soon. Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2019 1:41 PM in response to ChrisP967

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that your music is not shuffling as expected and you’d like to get this issue resolved. I’d be happy to help.

To understand your situation a bit more, answering the following questions will help me better understand, how I can properly guide you in the right direction.

1. Are you experiencing this behavior with music content as a subscriber to Apple Music or music content that was purchased in the iTunes Store?

2. Have you tried restarting your iPhone to see if that helps?

3. Is this behavior occurring with a specific music album or a created music playlist?

Hope to hear from you soon. Take care!

Apple Music Stops Shuffling/Doesn’t Shuffle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.