Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i delete photos from my macbook but not my icloud

i uploaded all my photos to an external hard drive so i could delete them off my computer but every time i go to delete a photo it says it will delete it from icloud as well . how do I change it to only delete it from my computer hard drive and not icloud?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 7:58 AM

You must not delete any photo from your Photos Library, that you want to keep in iCloud. iCloud Photos is a syncing service. The photos in iCloud Photo Library are mirrored on all synced devices and kept in sync with iCloud. Deleting a mirrored photos from one device will sync the deletion to iCloud and all synced devices.

If you want to save storage by using iCloud Photos, enable "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Photos. iCloud will remove full size versions of the photos from your Mac and replace them by smaller, optimized versions on your Mac if more free storage is needed. This is fully automatic. But do not delete photos o your own, or they will be lost.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2019 7:58 AM in response to sabrinahelena

You must not delete any photo from your Photos Library, that you want to keep in iCloud. iCloud Photos is a syncing service. The photos in iCloud Photo Library are mirrored on all synced devices and kept in sync with iCloud. Deleting a mirrored photos from one device will sync the deletion to iCloud and all synced devices.

If you want to save storage by using iCloud Photos, enable "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Photos. iCloud will remove full size versions of the photos from your Mac and replace them by smaller, optimized versions on your Mac if more free storage is needed. This is fully automatic. But do not delete photos o your own, or they will be lost.

how do i delete photos from my macbook but not my icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.