Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange Password Required for Mac notification

Turned on my iPhone this morning to listen to music, and found that about 50% of the songs in my iTunes library were greyed out with no artwork. I got the error message, "This song is not currently available in your country or region" when I tried to play any of them. No particular pattern, no obvious reason, and many were on music that I burned from my own CDs many years ago.

I get the same message after re-booting the phone, going into airplane mode and everything else I could think of. Any ideas?

iOS 12.2

Doug

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 1:14 PM

No, nothing has changed. No OS updates or anything. It's blacking out songs that I own from burned CDs, not even iTunes purchases. And completely randomly, as well (like 7 random songs on a single album).

128 replies

Apr 9, 2019 6:27 AM in response to ApexSpeed

Last night I re-synched the entire phone from my laptop and it behaved like my computer had never seen the phone before, asking me if I would allow the phone to be connected to that computer. It's the only computer it has ever synched with since I bought it 4 years ago, so I don't know what that's about. All is working again but that doesn't explain why it happened in the first place.

Apr 9, 2019 8:47 AM in response to ApexSpeed

I’m having exactly the same problem! At first it was just a few new songs that were greyed out, which I tried to fix it by unselecting all my music, but when I re-synced all my songs back to the phone, my entire library was greyed out and had that error message pop up. I just updated to 12.2 yesterday so I suppose this is a bug related to the new update?

Apr 10, 2019 5:58 AM in response to ApexSpeed

Hook your phone back up to the computer that you run iTunes off of and re-sync. Mine had recently been synched properly, and my computer didn't recognize my phone at all. Obviously something buggy in the new 12.2 update, which I didn't even realize had been run on my phone yet (I don't do auto updates for anything). Once the phone has been essentially rebuilt from your archive, everything works fine for all of your music.

Apr 10, 2019 7:43 AM in response to ApexSpeed

Unfortunately I've tried this and a large majority of tracks have re-synced and still showing greyed out and will not play...

Even stranger, after starting another sync straight away again, one or two per album all of a sudden were then available!? No more since, though.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Would hugely appreciate any help! :)

Nov 10, 2019 12:09 PM in response to ArayaFromOz

I was reading his reply that the problem spontaneously fixes itself. It seems, Apple is either incapable of fixing the problem or, what it seems, is that they won't fix it. The problem of music being unavailable for no apparent reason, has created many to make numerous suggestions how to fix. Some "fixes" will resolve the issue, but the issue comes back and goes away. When it "goes away", he is referring to "spontaneously" fixes itself. Without time, money, and effort to document, test, retest, and duplicate the problems to confirm, is the issue for us. I have resolved this same problem now over 5 years or so and it keeps coming back. Spontaneously fixing itself...with no credit towards Apple or their tech support, but because something we did ourselves unknowingly or knowingly resolving the issue temporarily.

I have resolved the very same issue, using a variety of methods. What worked one time, doesn't work always the next time, for the very same error.

Without a ticketing system, and doing Apple's job for them, it is difficult to track what works best.

At this very moment, I just picked up my iPhone, and the problem is back again for some music. This is the 3rd time in the last month. Apple clearly does not want to fix this issue. It is likely, this is going deep into their core values of control, and in their pocket books for licensing and legality. Something is clearly more important to them than a handful of angry customers.

Personally, i already had to convert my favorite music into MP3s for an MP3 hardware player I purchased so I can have my music when I travel far away from my computer to "fix" this problem, temporarily...

Causation? if we all wrote down our daily activities with the iPhone, we may be able to get to the cause of this problem.

• It could be our backups? It could be our backups running encryption?
  • It could be synchronizing or lack of synchronizing
  • Sometimes it appears related to running iPhone updates or an iTunes update or version upgrades as well.
  • Could be traveling out of country
  • Could be too many device "authorized" in the iCloud

At this very moment, I did just confirm, that i "fixed" my issue by simply plugging in my iPhone and synchronizing with iTunes, over 200 songs were "downloaded" even though I made zero changes, zero purchases, and zero deletes.

I rebooted my iPhone, turned off WiFi, BlueTooth, and Cell, the failing songs still played. I don't know what is causing it, but I know, in a few days to a few weeks and maybe a month later, the problem will come back with no idea what caused it. At the moment, simply resyncing it fixed it.

This is almost like "Bitrot". When the actual magnetic 0's and 1's on the platters start to deteriorate, getting corrupt/damaged. Then we have to resync the data as iTunes knows it is there in the metadata, but the file cannot play. I would be happy with that answer if that were true, but bitrot happens over a long period of time from what i understand. Not quite the same as damaged data from power surges, strikes, brownouts, sags and blackouts, but just deterioration over "time". But two days is not long enough.

For spontaneously fixes itself - I think he is simply frustrated with accidentally and unknowingly, temporarily resolving the issue just to have it come back again and again. In fact, I believe, we can make a new word for this. To describe our frustrations with Apple, Apple's refusal to fix the issue permanently, and Jon's frustration with iTunes spontaneously fixing itself, just for the problem repeating itself, should be coined with an agreeable word to properly describe this scenario.

Applelized? Applerot? Don't applelize me... Your music has Applerot....

Appleruption? Did Apple corrupt your stuff again??

Applailure? Apple/Failure

iTunobia? the fear of putting your music into iTunes??

Ahhh mannnn....Apple is going to ban me :(

Nov 21, 2019 12:59 AM in response to jon8979

I think I FINALLY FIXED IT!!!

If you notice the grayed out songs or darkened songs in dark mode on your iPhone's iTunes app,

1. Then, connect your iPhone to your computer
  2. Go To iTunes on your computer
  3. Go To your iPhone within iTunes browsing to it under "Devices", drilling down to "Music"
  4. If you notice ALL of the songs that are grayed out in the iPhone's iTunes app just may have a "dotted circle" next to each one

Note, the song is there, you can view it's properties, it confirms the song is indeed on your iPhone

Note, the song is indeed on your computer as well, within iTunes, you can browse the hard drive and find the song functioning fine

There are 4 ways listed at this link what to do to fix the issue, however, within 30 minutes I found another way. For now, it is fixed. The link is here: https://techgearz.com/fix-dotted-circle-itunes/

I did try solutions 2,3, and 4 in the past, all failed. I refuse right now to do solution 1. That is to find EVERY song manually, delete it off your drive's folder, and drag'n drop back in or import back into iTunes library then resync. That solution requires to go to the properties of every file, locate it, then delete, re-add, resync.

My fix, I hope not a temporary work-around, is easy and fast.

1. Within iTunes on your computer, drill down to Devices, select your iPhone, and go to the song or Play List, find the song,
  2. Right-click the song and select Add to Device, then select your iPhone.

Not only did the dotted circle go away on that song, but it went away on all my songs that were similar.

I hope this brings and end to this problem which occurs weekly, definitely every month.

Exchange Password Required for Mac notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.