Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert .QBX file to MAC

I have a DVD (From a Local Police Department that has a .qbx video file. Obviously, I've tried opening it on my MacBook Pro after I used a PC to move the entire file to a Thumb Drive (since newer Mac's don't have CD/DVD Roms drives. I've looked online and on Apple's forum and there's nothing about converting the file to .mov or QuickTime player. Im not a techie so Im lost. I'm also partially deaf and partially blind so I need to watch the .qbx video file on a special device at home. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 3:59 PM

3 replies

May 21, 2019 7:26 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I'm dealing with the same issue, yes the .qbx file is the video portion. I was able to pop the disc into a windows machine and double-click the autorun.exe file contained on the disc and it basically launches some type of video software thats included/embedded on the disc. Still haven't found the correct process for Mac viewing though. And you're correct, Police departments shouldn't use obscure and proprietary software when releasing video to a civilian especially one that is requested through a FOIA request, but they do and they also include about 20 other ambiguously named files the same disc so you're not even sure how to go about finding and viewing the video. The video file will appear and have a name similar to this, this is 375MB

Apr 8, 2019 5:12 PM in response to Disco-Stu

Are you certain the .qbx file is a video file? Because all I could find is Intuit QuickBooks Accountant Transfer File to use that suffix.

What is the file size? Video files normally appear to be quite large, so small files wouldn’t be video files.

If the local police department share video files with outsiders, then those video files shouldn’t be in obscure or proprietary formats.

Security cameras sometimes have proprietary formats, for the very reason that the files should only be played on bundled and licensed software. Do you know what brand camera filmed the video?

As a last resort, you could examine the file with a hex editor. It won’t help you play the file, but it may help you get clues by looking for human readable parts in the binary data. Meta data will often reveal itself that way. Often at the beginning or end of the file.

May 21, 2019 7:35 AM in response to Disco-Stu

heres what i was able to find, these postings on this forum are a few years old but as of the time that they were posted; there was no program available for Mac that was capable of playing this format. Either use a windows machine or install parallels on your Mac and go that route. https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/l3-communications-flashback-player-629971/

How to convert .QBX file to MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.