Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter Not Working Properly

When I connected my macbook pro (15-inch, mid-2012, OS 10.12.5) through an adapter to a VGA projector, the projector indicated that it took in a signal, and the screen on my macbook also flashed momentarily. However, the projector still showed a blue screen. When I entered system preferences, the 'arrangement' tab was also absent.

The only way I could solve this issue was by restarting my computer with the projector connected to my computer, and it is very irritating that I have to restart my computer every time I want to do a presentation.

My adapter is a J5 Create Mini DP to VGA adapter (model no. JDA112). The strange thing is that when I plugged in my friend's S$5 unbranded made in china adapter, it somehow worked. Is there any other way to solve this issue other than buying a new adapter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jodan

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 9:08 AM

Buy a new adapter, the one you have is obviously not working, for guaranteed results buy an Apple branded accessory: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter either online or in a store that sells Apple Products.

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 9, 2019 9:57 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Ok thank you. I forgot that Apple sold adapters, so I went to buy the J5Create one. However, J5Create should be a pretty reputable brand as they are commonly found in stores over here. I am also trying to refrain from buying another adapter as the pricing is quite steep. I suspect it could be some sort of authenticator chip or anything like that causing the problem. However, it is still highly improbable that a cheap unbranded adapter would pass any authentication of some sort, while a branded one will not. Also, my adapter will work if, and only if I start up my computer with the projector plugged in.

Anyone using a J5Create dongle, can you please advise if you have this problem? Thank you.

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter Not Working Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.