Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Started To Auto Login

Recently Safari has stared to auto login. I select the stored username and password and it then tries to login. This is fine with the exception that I have a Captcha and it does not let me answer that so I just get a fail Captcha error. I have searched everywhere on how to turn this off. I want it to auto fill, but I don't want it to submit automatically.

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 3:52 PM

This is a new feature introduced in the latest update.

"Streamlines website login when filling credentials with Password AutoFill"

Section: Safari

What's new in the updates for macOS Mojave - Apple Support

As a test "Disable "Remember Me" under user ID and Password fields.

Options will be available.

Now click inside boxes. A blue highlighted pop-up will appear below the box showing the password.

Click it enter the password.

Click the arrow button to login.

Unless you click, Auto login will not take place.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2019 3:52 PM in response to digidesigner

This is a new feature introduced in the latest update.

"Streamlines website login when filling credentials with Password AutoFill"

Section: Safari

What's new in the updates for macOS Mojave - Apple Support

As a test "Disable "Remember Me" under user ID and Password fields.

Options will be available.

Now click inside boxes. A blue highlighted pop-up will appear below the box showing the password.

Click it enter the password.

Click the arrow button to login.

Unless you click, Auto login will not take place.

Apr 10, 2019 1:49 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks for your help, but that doesn't solve the general issues. Lots of sites do not have the "remember me" option/button, but do have captcha, TWF authentification...

So for all those sites it is impossible to use the autofill anymore, since it then automatically tries to login after filling user and password, bypassing the other fields.

It is a nice idea, but should have a turn off option somewhere.

Jun 21, 2019 6:59 PM in response to digidesigner

Boy, this is an INCREDIBLY annoying "feature." I wish Apple would start offering a toggle switch to turn off new features like this instead of forcing it on everyone regardless of preference. And it's really frustrating when a form has the wrong password stored and auto-submits or you manage to hit enter out of habit and submit twice.

Regardless, is there a way to turn this dumb idea off?

Sep 20, 2019 11:02 AM in response to chief_resident

Apple should never have introduced this feature without a toggle switch to begin with. I think it’s been demonstrated time and time again through no shortage of security issues that software carrying out automatic actions on behalf of the user without the user’s consent is just a terrible idea. I don’t know why tech companies fail to learn this lesson. If it’s an automatic action, it needs to have an option to be disabled.

Sep 20, 2019 11:02 AM in response to chief_resident

Apple should never have introduced this feature without a toggle switch to begin with. I think it’s been demonstrated time and time again through no shortage of security issues that software carrying out automatic actions on behalf of the user without the user’s consent is just a terrible idea. I don’t know why tech companies fail to learn this lesson. If it’s an automatic action, it needs to have an option to be disabled.

Sep 20, 2019 11:09 AM in response to Rick Anderson

I agree a toggle would have been nice (I was jut beginning getting used to it).

But this: did anyone look at the new and changed features ? I was expecting something like "disabled auto-login" ... But no. Nothing at all.

Apple is never wrong.

Apple is always right.

When Apple goofs ... it is never wrong.

Removing the jack plug from iPhones ? Apple is never wrong.

Removing all connectivity from MacBookPros ? Apple is never wrong.

Replacing keyboard on MacBookPros with the "butterfly" keyboard ? Apple is never wrong.

Safari Started To Auto Login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.