Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dictation is duplicating what I say

When I dictate something it's duplicated it's duplicated.. That's an example of exactly what's happening.. You can see the periods are You can see the periods are duplicating.. I have turned both Siri off and dictation off and restarted the computer and turn them back on and it still happening I have turned both Siri off and dictation off and restarted the computer and turn them back on and it still happening.. Any ideas? Oh it didn't duplicate thenOh it didn't duplicate then.. Spoke too soon..

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 6:30 AM

SOLVED: This simple solution worked for me. I'm running Big Sur with MacBook Air with the M1 Apple silicon.

Turn Off Key Repeat Under Keyboard Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, then go to System Preferences > Keyboard. 
  2. Drag the slider to Off.

142 replies

Jul 26, 2020 11:51 AM in response to ron90069

I have researched this further. This article summarizes most of the recommendations:

https://appletoolbox.com/mac-os-x-dictation-not-working-how-to-fix/

There is no true fix. I have read reports dating to El Capitan: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7320594 and on iOS. The bug is also present in Catalina.

Not all users see it, it probably varies by hardware. There is probably more than one cause, but something is likely broken in a hard to fix part of macOS. Safari text boxes are the worst - almost 100% duplication for me. Restarting macOS fixes transiently.

One addition to lore: using non-USB external microphone does not help.

If you are beta testing Big Sur please submit a bug report if you see it.

Aug 6, 2020 1:38 PM in response to andora29

For me it only happens in Safari, and only about 75% of the time. Cut a little slack to people who are seeing slightly different symptoms, OK?

I have a further problem with Dictation, which, like the duplicating, has plagued me in El Capitan, Sierra, and now High Sierra: occasionally dictation will completely stop working. When I hit function twice, the microphone icon pops up but it never shows any of the sound activity—even in other apps—and I have to either reboot or log out of my user account and log back in to make it work again.

I think I've traced the problem to the folder ~/Library/Assistants, by searching for the most recently modified files after one of these dictation crashes. One of the pictured files is corrupting itself somehow. It will take further experimentation to figure out which one, but it still might take a reboot to re-enable dictation because it might have to reload whatever cache that is. Anyway, I figure there's a good chance the duplication problem is stemming from the same folder.

And that's not even mentioning the other dictation problem where it will keep changing what it just typed, and sometimes even remove entire sentences.

May 13, 2019 7:06 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

As you note, I'm seeing this in Safari, specifically dictating email in Gmail web UI. I get whole sentences or sometimes just freezes duplicated.I get whole sentences or sometimes just freezes duplicated. <-- Oh, and here too! Oddly I've seen a similar problem occasionally in Spark mail app for iOS, but that somehow resolves itself after a few days. <sigh>

Aug 7, 2019 7:07 AM in response to ron90069

So playing with some of the settings in Dictation and the keyboard settings I found out that if you turn off advance dictation under the dictation tab and also slow down the repeat for the keyboard and keyboard in settings it seems to fix the repeating issue so maybe it's just the advanced dictation.

Are use dictation to make this whole entire reply in Safari so looks like I might've fixed the dictation duplication issue.

I hope this works for you good luck!

Aug 10, 2019 8:37 AM in response to christinaIT

Thanks! I think that's a fix for some of us; alas, not all of us. Glad it worked for you!

I've had to switch to chrome for things I want to dictate (yick!) and it would be nice if Apple could fix this issue at the root for *their* browser. (Rant not directed at you, ChristinaIT! I'm just grumpy that so many of us have this issue, and for some of us, it's not really fixable...just "avoidable")

Oct 2, 2019 12:18 AM in response to jpak33

This is also happening to me on iOS 13, iPhone 11 Pro Max using voice control/dictation (voiceover is off). It is happening everywhere e.g. Safari, Messages, Notes, etc. Sometimes it will double text, sometimes it will triple text.

I haven’t been able to figure out a fix I haven't been able to figure out a fix. (This is an example of what it’s doing this is an example of what it's doingthis is an example of what it’s doing)

Thanks.

dictation is duplicating what I say

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.