Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is Java safe?

I'm getting a pop-up window saying my Java verison is out of date. Should I update? I am using MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.6.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 11, 2019 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2019 6:52 PM

Java in your web browser is NOT safe. Mostly because this mode allows someone to send you a program to run, and unless the web browser based Java is perfectly sandboxed, it can allow the Java program delivered via a webpage to probe and maybe penetrate your system. And when I say someone sends the Java program your Web browser runs, that can be any website, and banner Ad hosted on any website, etc... Lots and lots of opportunity to mess with your Mac.

Java in a macOS application is as safe as any other programming language. That is to say, it is a function of the programmers that wrote the Java application. Plus you download it once from hopefully a trusted source, and you get updates from the same trusted source.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2019 6:52 PM in response to mdicksonspeaks

Java in your web browser is NOT safe. Mostly because this mode allows someone to send you a program to run, and unless the web browser based Java is perfectly sandboxed, it can allow the Java program delivered via a webpage to probe and maybe penetrate your system. And when I say someone sends the Java program your Web browser runs, that can be any website, and banner Ad hosted on any website, etc... Lots and lots of opportunity to mess with your Mac.

Java in a macOS application is as safe as any other programming language. That is to say, it is a function of the programmers that wrote the Java application. Plus you download it once from hopefully a trusted source, and you get updates from the same trusted source.

is Java safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.