Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Cross Dissolves using Transitions

Hello-

I'm trying to expand the transitions between 2 clips, so the cross dissolves last 5-10 seconds, instead of 1 second-

anyone have any technique for doing this?

any help will be much appreciated

Best,

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 11, 2019 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2019 11:43 AM

Please double-click on that transition to open the “precision editor” as Tom showed.

I seems that you may not have enough handles, and the screenshot may clear that up.

If there were enough handles then starting with the transition selected as in your screenshot just the sequence of keys control-D 5. enter

would change the duration to 5 seconds.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2019 11:43 AM in response to TheePaleRider

Please double-click on that transition to open the “precision editor” as Tom showed.

I seems that you may not have enough handles, and the screenshot may clear that up.

If there were enough handles then starting with the transition selected as in your screenshot just the sequence of keys control-D 5. enter

would change the duration to 5 seconds.

Apr 11, 2019 11:07 AM in response to TheePaleRider

So, I tried to use handles.

my 2 clips that I'm trying to do the cross dissolve are 30 seconds long.

I should say, I'm very new to Final Cut Pro X, but not the idea of editing.

I never get to a point where I am ask to enter a new time value for the cross dissolve.

it always says, when stretched 00:15, and I don't know how to enter in another value.

Everytime I run the transition, it's only 1 second long-

when I double click to use handles, I can not extend the time at all either.

Any help still greatly appreciated, as this technique will make or break this project

I attached a screen shot-

Slow Cross Dissolves using Transitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.