Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is an eficheck.dump file, and what "problem" is it describing?

Bought a used early 2011 MacBook Pro (17") Model8,3 which seems to be running fine, but very recently, I've seen a few error dialogs stating that "Your computer has detected a problem."

I'm offered 3 options: a) view the file (which is an eficheck.dump file and all indecipherable code), b) Don't send to Apple, and c) Send the file to Apple.

Before I send it, I'd like to know what it signifies.

Anyone know what this is about?

MacBook Pro 17", 10.13

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 1:13 PM

Ron Herrmann wrote:

Bought a used early 2011 MacBook Pro (17") Model8,3 which seems to be running fine, but very recently, I've seen a few error dialogs stating that "Your computer has detected a problem."
I'm offered 3 options: a) view the file (which is an eficheck.dump file and all indecipherable code), b) Don't send to Apple, and c) Send the file to Apple.

Are you having other issues?

The new utility eficheck, located in /usr/libexec/firmwarecheckers/eficheck, runs automatically once a week. It checks that Mac's firmware against Apple's database of what is known to be good. If it passes, you will see nothing of this, but if there are discrepancies, you will be invited to send a report to Apple.

Is your Software up to date?

Have you installed any third party software in the last week, esp. from a nefarious aggregator site?

more: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8303249

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2019 1:13 PM in response to Ron Herrmann

Ron Herrmann wrote:

Are you having other issues?

The new utility eficheck, located in /usr/libexec/firmwarecheckers/eficheck, runs automatically once a week. It checks that Mac's firmware against Apple's database of what is known to be good. If it passes, you will see nothing of this, but if there are discrepancies, you will be invited to send a report to Apple.

Is your Software up to date?

Have you installed any third party software in the last week, esp. from a nefarious aggregator site?

more: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8303249

What is an eficheck.dump file, and what "problem" is it describing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.