Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Find all Folders with Folder Actions applied

Hi,

I am in the process of migrating from an older MacBook to a 2018 MacBook Pro running Mojave. The migration tool did not work all that well for me.

I am trying to determine what folders on the old MacBook running El Capitan had folder actions assigned to them, what the folder actions were, and where the associated scripts are located so I can replicate them on the same folders on the new MacBook.

I have done several searches and read through the folder actions reference guide, but as yet I have not found a way to programmatically identify all folders having associated folder actions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ted

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 12:25 AM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2019 4:18 AM in response to mypupsrgr8

To see the folders that folder actions are assigned too, just right-click on any folder, and on that secondary menu, select Services -> Folder Actions Setup…

Your actual folder action scripts are located in:

~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions

Press shift+command+G to open the Finder Go To Folder dialog, copy/paste the preceding path, and then click GO.

Those with Automator WFLOW icons can be opened with Automator from the right-click Open With : Automator. The icons that appear to be small screen shots of Automator workflows can open in the same manner by Automator. The icons with the AppleScript scroll on them are script bundles (.scptd), and open with Script Editor.

How to Find all Folders with Folder Actions applied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.