Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are Notes stored in Mojave (location seems different than for older iOS)

Hello,

I researched an answer to that question but could only find answers for High Sierra or older iOS.

Answers included "NotesV7.storedata / NotesV7.storedata-wal" in com.apple.Notes for "On My Mac" Notes and group.com.apple.notes for "iCloud Notes".

I ran an experiment: I copy/pasted these files on my desktop (then also tried with the whole container), removed a note on the Notes app, then turned off the wifi and quit the app, then replaced the files with the ones copied on my desktop, and finally opened the Notes app.

Results: the note wasn't recovered, like if I did nothing. Tried the same for the other container "group.com.apple.notes". and didnt work either.

I therefore guess notes aren't stored in these containers in MOJAVE .

Any clues where they could be?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 4:25 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 25, 2019 9:19 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you dialabrain.

My aim is to regularly back up my notes. Time machine is enabled on my mac but I tried to replace the files that I mention in the first post and it doesn't seem to work. I therefore opted for a suboptimal backup alternative which is to regularly copy paste my iCloud notes in "On My Mac" notes.

So, I just did the experiment with the path you suggest.

Apparently, it works perfectly fine, and in fact, for both iCloud notes and On My Mac notes! I did it several times, even trying with Time Machine, and it works.

For people interested, here's how I tested that:

1. Copy paste the "group.com.apple.notes" folder on desktop
  2. Turn off wifi
  3. Delete a note on iCloud account and another note on On My Mac account
  4. Close Notes
  5. Replace current container folder with the one on desktop
  6. Open Notes. The deleted notes are back there on both accounts.

So, from now on, I will merely rely on Time Machine + do manual savings of the container folder once in a while just in case Time Machine had to encounter a problem. And I will stop doing "On My Mac" backups, as it now seems pointless.

Thank you very much Dialabrain!

Where are Notes stored in Mojave (location seems different than for older iOS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.